1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How to write a gamer...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Cousin Jeffrey, Aug 25, 2008.

1. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

2. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

His story on Oswalt beating them last year was equally as impressive.

Only disappointing thing were the minor typos a copy editor should have picked up.

3. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

Yeah, it was entertaining. One thing that stuck out to me was that I'm guessing he's talking about Nick Massett when he says Nick Massek.

4. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

This is the kind of gamer I have always advocated by beat guys -- seriously. Since about 1980. It's what we pay beat guys for.

Not everyone has agreed, of course.

And while this has been said, and probably written, before, this line, placed where it was, made me laugh:

As far as the game goes, it was the Reds falling out of an ugly tree and hitting every branch on the way to the ground.

5. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

That was my favorite line, SF.

6. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Good god is that an old joke, and it was totally unnecessary. Show, don't tell, right? Let the reader evaluate the fact that the Reds made five errors, surrendered nine walks and struck out 14 times.

Sorry guys, I know it's Hal McCoy, but this wasn't great. Sufficient perhaps, but not great.

7. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

On a side note, am I to believe a young pitcher on a club managed by Dusty Baker might have injured his arm?

8. AgatePage

AgatePage Active Member

That's just impossible. Dusty demands you take that back.

9. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

I don't think they pay Hal McCoy to just show. Readers want him to tell. (Almost) Anyone can write down what happens.

10. I Digress

I Digress Guest

Show, don't tell, is an old wives myth. To paraphrase a very prolific author I know, I'm telling a fucking story, not acting it out. That would be showing.

The tree line is funny.

11. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

If I'm copy editing, that tree line isn't making it past my desk.

It's called editorializing, son.

12. TheMethod

TheMethod Member

If you're a decent beat guy at all, you'd better be smartly and judiciously editorializing in most stories or you're really selling short your readers, and your paper, both of which could easily go to AP to get the facts. You were there. You've been there since spring training (in some cases for decades gone by), you've talked to those involved before and after the fact, and before and after every fact the entire season. Use that. Be a writer.

Draft saved Draft deleted