1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How to write a column

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Jake_Taylor, Jun 24, 2011.

1. GBNF

GBNF Well-Known Member

This was awesome!

2. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I remember at first always ending stories on a quote. Then I went through a phase where I felt everything needed a kicker that brought back the lede. Then I learned to be more moderate about that approach, so I went back to using quotes sometimes.

Now, I've come to the realization that, particularly in a column or feature, the key to ending an article is a strong sentence. In fact, the kicker should be one of the best sentences in your story. And that sentence often can be a telling quote, but it just as often can be your own words. I don't think there's a right answer, but I do think that you need a solid sentence -- and not necessarily a summation of the point of the article, just a well-crafted sentence -- to close out a good article.

Make the readers remember it, and they'll come back for more.

3. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

The most underrated ending to a good column is simply letting it, you know, end when you're done saying what you wanted to say.

4. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

As my college adviser said "Just end it"

Doesn't need anything fanciful or witty...when the story's over, it's over. :)

5. rmanfredi

rmanfredi Active Member

6. BobSacamano

BobSacamano Member

Indeed works best if read in Omar Little's voice.

7. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

8. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

The difference between indeed and ended is, phonetically, an "e."

Draft saved Draft deleted