1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How to write a column

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Jake_Taylor, Jun 24, 2011.

1. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

2. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

I'm solidly in the "quotes aren't necessary and certainly not necessary to end a column" camp.

3. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Thanks, Jake. Me, too.

4. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

I think I fall in the "it depends on the story" camp. Sometimes I'm interviewing somebody and thinking they are writing it for me with all the great quotes. Other times I'm getting mostly background with a couple of poignant statements worth quoting.

5. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

All columns are different. Sometimes, you're thinking out loud, as it were, and quotes are not needed at all. Sometimes, you're telling a story about a person, and that person's quotes are absolutely necessary. There's no rules except doing the best you can in (you hope) a way nobody's thought about the event/person/topic before.

6. Mozilla

Mozilla Guest

Quit ending columns with meaningless kickers, I say.

Example:

"It all comes down
    to this season," Jockboy
    said. "This is my big chance."
    Indeed.

7. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

The "indeed" ending is a hacky hack hacksters kicker. Few things bug me more.

8. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

I like to end my columns in mid-sentence so the readers have a reason to come back.

9. JPsT

JPsT Member

Always leave them wanting more, so they'll

10. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

11. FreddiePatek

FreddiePatek Active Member

Now that's just funny, don't care who ya are.

12. shockey

shockey Active Member

kickers have their time and place but are more often than not unnecessary. some writers, especially young writers, don't understand why it's often overkill. this is where good editors come in.

Draft saved Draft deleted