1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How to tell you're raising a nerd

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Bob Cook, Jan 1, 2008.

1. Chef

Chef Active Member

The 7 greatest Royals of all-time.

In order.

1. George Brett
    2. Paul Splitorff
    3. Frank White
    4. Willie Wilson
    5. Cookie Rojas
    6. Steve Balboni
    7. Vincent Edward "BO" Jackson

2. Not sure if this counts as nerdish per se, but my daughter clamors for the LOUD songs in Guitar Hero. How many 5-year-ols request a Slayer song by name?

And I don't even listen to Slayer!

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Congrats, Bob.

Raising a nerd is a hell of a lot easier than raising a cool kid -- no wild parties, no expensive fashions, no worrying if he will get a girl pregnant.

You are doing well.

I've got one of each.

The nerd is nicer, but I don't want to be seen hanging around with him too much. Hurts my image.

4. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

Posts like this one are precisely why Ace was a strong contender for my POY vote. Outstanding.

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Piotr, the truly nerdish version of that would also be sure to mention that the actor's name is Colm Meaney, because the nerd must show off his ridiculous knowledge at all times.

It is moments like this that I am truly thankful for Mrs. OOP. She's the only chance my little one has.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  6. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

No idea. I googled schtick and that was one of the images it dug up.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  7. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

Apparently you haven't seen "Juno." They say teen pregnancy is all the rage these days ... even for the geeky kids.

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

That was a movie. How many girls did impregnate in high school?

9. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Do Dennis Leonard, Larry Gura, or Carlos Beltran make the top 10?

10. Chef

Chef Active Member

Leonard, Beltran and Hal McRae round out the top 10.

I would also add Gura, Danny Tartabull, Dan Quisenberry as 11-13.

11. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

There were a couple baby-making planets in my school.

12. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Chef, I think you have Dan Quisenberry way too low. He was one of the best closers early on in the era of closers.

As an aside, I'll share a personal Dan Quisenberry story. I was a young kid still in college doing box scores for the AP when Quisenberry gave up a walkoff homer. My job was to finish the box score and then get quotes from the losing team's clubhouse for the writer's game story. Whenever a pitcher gives up big home run, you always ask what the pitch was. This one came on a 3-0 pitch, but I was raw and kind of forgot about it being a 3-0 pitch when I asked the question. Quisenberry looked at me and smiled and then said, "Knuckleball."

EDIT: Put Quisenberry in Balboni's place on your list and find a new No. 13. Balboni never hit more than .244 and never drove in more than 88 in a season. He doesn't belong on the list.

Draft saved Draft deleted