1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How to tell you're raising a nerd

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Bob Cook, Jan 1, 2008.

1. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

So here's an example from the other day of how I am steering my children, proudly, toward geekdom. My boys and I went to the Star Wars Imagination exhibit at the Museum of Science and Industry (that's not the example) on New Year's Eve (that's not it, either). As we're standing in line, we can see a model of one of the pod racers from Episode I. My 5-year-old son says, "That's Sebulba's." (That's not the example.) Another 5-year-old starts fighting with my son -- "No, that's Anakin's!" The two boys are going back and forth about this like Ali-Foreman in Zaire. And, yes, that's a part of the example, but not all of it.

So here's the example. Not only was my 5-year-old fighting with a boy he doesn't know at a Star Wars show about whose pod racer that was, but he also WAS RIGHT!!!!!!

I must say, I had to wipe a tear of joy away when I saw the sign by the model reading "Sebulba's Pod Racer."

Please share any stories of your child's impending nerddom, if you will.

2. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

I weep for your child.

3. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

Sounds like a very proud moment, sir.

4. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

My children share my genes. 'Nuff said.

5. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Your son will never get laid, and I say that as a Star Wars geek.

6. John

John Well-Known Member

Watch out for this guy:

[​IMG]

7. spnited

spnited Active Member

But if he were 10 years older, chickie would be interested :eek:

8. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Be fair spnited.

12 years.

9. StormSurge

StormSurge Active Member

Great story Bob. Good job by the little man!

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Sad, but true.

11. Bill Horton

Bill Horton Active Member

My wife and I were both jocks growing, playing most traditional sports, and I played rugby in college. Our oldest son is a college scholarship athlete.
    Our 16-year-old? He tried. He really did. Except for being slow, small, not very strong and not very coordinated, he was fine.
    Eventually, he went nerd on us. But you know what? He's the most considerate, nicest, sweetest, kindest and funniest 16-year-old I've ever known and I love having him around. A senior asked him to homecoming last fall and another girl just asked him to prom.
    He also scored a 33 on his first ACT without even preparing. He plans to prepare for the next one in February.
    I'm already dreaming about what we'll do with the money we'll be saving !!!!
    He may be a nerd, but he's our nerd. And I love that boy!

12. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

So, what comes first, the Conan reference for the thread, or the Heathers reference for BH?

Draft saved Draft deleted