1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How to stop a record: Warriors, down 30, hack away to stop Rockets' 3s

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LongTimeListener, Feb 6, 2013.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

http://www.sfgate.com/warriors/article/Rockets-rout-Warriors-by-31-4254231.php

Pretty funny. Houston had tied the NBA record with 23 three-pointers in a rout (final score 140-109). But in the final minute, the Rockets were going for the mark -- and the Warriors took a flagrant foul to stop one shot, then fouls on two other possessions, to deny Houston the mark.

Coach Mark Jackson: "We're not going to lie down. I was an old-school basketball player. I'm an old-school coach. If you can't appreciate that, that's on you."

I think Starman has a new favorite team. Anyway, the Rockets and Warriors play next Tuesday, which led to this from the Warriors' Andrew Bogut:

Andrew Bogut ‏@andrewbogut
    C U Next Tuesday fellas!

2. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Jackson had a long career, 87-04, but is that considered "Old School"?

Old School ended at the ABA-NBA merger, maybe a bit before. Wilt was Old School, not Jabbar. Oscar was old school, Magic was not. Was Frazier old school? Reed was.

3. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

"Old school" moves relative to "now."

Maybe Showtime is old school now.

4. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I've heard Mark jackson on a podcast with Tom Tolbert. He believes he is old school compared to today's players (he actually had to fly commercial early in his career). He started playing in the NBA 26 years ago. That is a long time.

5. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Old school might be now because in 10 years, LeBron will be saying, "Yeah, I couldn't watch the Super Bowl in 2013 because we had to travel from Toronto and our plane didn't have Wi-Fi or satellite TV. It sucked, man."

6. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

I far prefer Mark Jackson's approach to an opponent trying to set a record to that of that bible college that essentially laid down and allowed that Grinnell player to set the NCAA record in that farce of a college game earlier this year.

If it's become obvious that your opponent is just gunning for a record, then I think it's fair game to focus on doing whatever it takes to stop it.

7. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Who the hell made these rules? Is this codified in some rulebook somewhere that I don't about?

I'm not even sure what "old school" means, but if it's meant to imply a tough physical no-nonsense defense-oriented style of basketball--as Jackson seems to be alluding to here, then I'd suggest that was far more prevalent in 80s and 90s pro basketball than the run and gun pre-merger 60s and 70s. So stat-obsessed showboatin no-defense stars like Maravich and McAdoo are somehow considered more "old school" than Bird and Magic because they played before the merger? Again, who made these rules?

8. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

2 for McAdoo!

9. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

I agree with this. The other night I watched for the second time the Reggie Miller 30 for 30, and some of the hard fouls they took in those days -- compared to the candy ass play today -- makes me think that was "old school" and that was the mid-90s. It's a very relative term.

10. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

I agree.

11. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

3 to make 2!

12. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Maybe the Warriors should have played better defense in the first 47:30 of the game on any of the previous 3-pointers??

It's just more whiny-bitch butthurt from losers.

You lost the fuckin' game by 30 and you're already in the record book anyway. How much worse is it if you give up one more 3-pointer in the last 30 seconds?

Draft saved Draft deleted