1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How to Memorialize the Va Tech Victims?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Captain_Kirk, Apr 18, 2007.

1. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Someone mentioned elsewhere a statue for the Holocaust survivor professor. If you're in charge at Va Tech, what do you do in the memory of the innocent folks who lost their lives there this week? Some sort of monument in front of Norris Hall with all their names on it?

I imagine the football team will come out this fall with something on the uniforms--the black armband perhaps. How about a decal of the number 32 on their helmets?

And what of Norris Hall? Can you even consider holding classes on the 2nd floor there ever again? Or in the building in general? if you cordone off the 2nd floor, do you do anything with the space or just leave it as is?

2. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

I like the idea someone posted on the main thread of a grove of 32 trees.

3. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

BANNING THE PRIVATE OWNERSHIP OF HANDGUNS would be a great memorial

4. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Fenian mentioned that, and I like that idea with maybe the professor getting that statue in that grove.

5. audreyld

audreyld Guest

What they can't afford to do is pretend it didn't happen (ala Texas, where the shooting victims are only just now being recognized).

Something nice, someplace quiet where people can reflect. Statues are nice, but they'll be more effective if they're on ground set aside for the purpose and not just plunked down in the middle of campus.

6. KP

KP Active Member

Retire the number in all athletic events. I'd do the trees, but around a pond with benches.

7. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

A brick fountain would be nice. Something with an engineering or German slant to it would be nice as well.

You don't want trees or anything like that because one may not be as healthy as the others.

8. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

Asking this seriously, do you use the number 32 or 33?
    I don't think anyone wants to memorialize the Cho, but because he was a student, is it possible the university says they don't want to forget the troubled soul?

9. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

I would still say 32.

10. Willie-Butch

Willie-Butch Member

Fuck him. Go with 32.

11. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

As if there were any question before, watching that video clip tonight sealed it for me ... 32.

12. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

I think if you give one to the Holocaust survivor professor, you need to give one to the professor who came down from the third floor to stop it and was gunned down.

Both put themselves in harm's way by choice.

Draft saved Draft deleted