1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How to make NASCAR better

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by budcrew08, Nov 13, 2008.

1. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

For those who are bashing the system for punishing a driver like Kyle Busch, who had a great season...has he been that much better than Johnson overall?

Busch won a handful of races early, Johnson won a handful late. If the regular season points standings were used throughout the entire season, how would Busch and Johnson rank? I'd be interested to see that.

2. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I think I read somewhere that Johnson would be first and Kyle third.

3. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Fenian, you're right.

From one of the greatest threads this board has ever spawned (newer members, go back to page 1 on this link and read. Have a beer or something alcoholic nearby):

The story of the story:
    http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/posts/996038/

And the story itself:
    http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/posts/1006565/

4. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

That's been posted on the NASCAR thread already (this, of course, is the ARCA thread :D ) so you can go look it up there. Basically, under the old points system Johnson's up 56 on The Carl and they're the only drivers who can win the championship. The Brat is safely in third; can't move up, can't fall down.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  5. derwood

derwood Active Member

Hinton is awesome but starting season during NFL playoffs is not possible.

6. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

But at least you get the drivers bitching about having to turn right.

7. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Holy shit, I've stayed in that Holiday Inn.

8. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Fontana. Kansas City.

I'm not real crazy about Chicagoland, either.

9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Read somewhere once, and it made sense, that running counterclockwise raises some safety concerns. If you brush the wall turning left, you ding up the passenger's side of the car. If you brush it turning right, the wall is right next to the driver and may affect or injure him more.
    Don't know if that's why all ovals go left (I doubt it, since they do the same thing in IndyCars and other types of racing), but it made some sense.

10. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Suggestions about shorter schedules, cutting/adding tracks are a daydream that's just not going to happen. Maybe gradually over a very long time, at best, but I think in 10 years it will still be 36 races over the same timeframe as now.

What I'd like to see are different races, maybe even different formats. Forget 500 miles at every race. And screw qualifying at most of them. For some races, invert the field. Make Johnson and Co. start from the back. Run heat races leading up to a main event like you see in World of Outlaws. Just spice things up. If golf can do it (match play, team events, etc.), NASCAR certainly can.

11. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

For as long and drawn-out as Speedweeks are, that's one thing I've always loved about Daytona -- the qualifying races. It just gives a different feel to the race.

12. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

I don't know or care a thing about NASCAR, but I read every word of this story because it offered concrete solutions that were clearly based on research and knowledge. Very well done.

Draft saved Draft deleted