1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How to make NASCAR better

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by budcrew08, Nov 13, 2008.

1. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Two-way traffic.

2. I'd watch that.

3. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Have you watched a race anytime in the last 10 years? Lots of races have boring, anticlimactic finishes. In fact, I'd say it's the norm rather than the exception. A lot of times a guy will take the lead with 15-20 laps left and pull away to win by 8-10 car lengths.
    The only times you really get those dramatic finishes are at the restrictor plate tracks (cars bunched up the whole way, and whoever leads the last lap wins); whenever the pit strategy gets screwy (guys gamble on stretching their fuel to go for the win); or maybe a short track race where two guys are bumping and banging the last few laps.
    One of the big problems NASCAR has run into is the plethora of 1 1/2-mile cookie cutter tracks where every race is the same.

4. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Love when people weigh in when they obviously don't watch the races and are just spouting talking points.

It's virtually impossible to have a 23-car wreck at Bristol or Martinsville. They're only doing like 80 mph, and 23 cars back is all the way at the opposite end of the track. The 23-car wrecks come at the huge restrictor-plate tracks, where they're running in packs.

And you do know they do turn right on the road courses, right?

5. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

How does NASCAR deal with the bland, corporate shill personalities which pollute the sport?

6. Nothing more boring than a NASCAR road course race.

7. Double J

Double J Active Member

I like the idea of doubling the points for majors. I'd also like to see points granted for winning the pole. I know you get points for leading a lap, which in a lot of cases goes hand-in-hand with winning the pole, but a pole-sitter doesn't always lead the first lap.

The main part of the season should also count for more entering the Chase. The points leader going in should have a significant lead, say 150 points over the second-place driver, who could have 100 points on the third-place guy. The rest of them can be spread out in 50-point increments.

Even better - pro-rate the points, so the lead you have going into the Chase more accurately reflects what you did during the regular season.

8. imjustagirl

NASCAR loves bland, corporate shill personalities. That's what sponsors make them, so that's what NASCAR loves.

The key is getting one like Jeff Burton, who is a great spokesperson for any sponsor but also pulls no punches, answers questions honestly, answers them thoroughly, and will almost always leave you thinking more about something than you were before.

9. Eddie Hinton is a sportswriting deity.
    Just sayin'.

10. imjustagirl

Fenian, don't make me go find his Yankees story. Don't do it.

11. You know you want to.

12. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

Then what's Dale Jr? He's not bland, that's for sure.

Draft saved Draft deleted