1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How to make NASCAR better

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by budcrew08, Nov 13, 2008.

1. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

Ed Hinton nails this one right on the head.

http://sports.espn.go.com/rpm/nascar/cup/columns/story?columnist=hinton_ed&id=3697629

2. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

I'm no gear-head, but I like these suggestions.

There's not a pro sport that wouldn't be better if its season was a month shorter.

3. Hinton nails it, alright. And it will never happen.

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I agree with a bunch of them. Some type of revenue sharing wouldn't be bad either. Right now it's Hendrick v. Gibbs v. Roush and that's about it.
    The problem with The Chase is you either crown your champion based on who had had the best year (Kyle Busch), who has done the best in the Chase (J. Johnson) or just turn it into a crapshoot like the Stanley Cup. I could just see how screwed up it would be if they eliminated one racer per week and you'd get down to two or three racers for the finale and there was a "suspicious" wreck.
    I'd also make some of the races "majors" and double the points at say, Daytona, Darlington, Bristol (summer), Talladega (spring) Watkins or Infineon, and Charlotte (summer)

5. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Ed Hinton nailed it. Too bad Brian France and Mike Helton are too arrogant for words.

6. spnited

spnited Active Member

Don't put 43 cars on a 5/8-mile track...unless you admit the only thing you're marketing is the crashes.

7. Sam Mills 51

S-P, they put 43 cars on the track at both Martinsville and Bristol, two tracks that are shorter than 5/8 of a mile.

Thing is, given the economic climate, there might not be 43 teams capable of running the full schedule in '09, something that Brian France is either too arrogant and/or too ignorant to understand when he won't listen to cutting down the number of races on the schedule.

8. CM Punk

CM Punk Guest

More trailer derbies and school bus races. Always popular at the local dirt track.

9. spnited

spnited Active Member

I am aware of their oversized fields on undersized tracks, sam. So they get 43 cars running single file until one loses it and creates a 23-car wreck.

The other thing they ought to do is run some reverse oval races..see if these clowns can figure out how to turn right for 500 miles.

10. Sam Mills 51

The only thing Ed Hinton might have overlooked or forgotten: Dump those STUPID restrictor plates.

Nothing like NASCAR trying to bunch up fields, resulting in 25-car pileups at Daytona and Talladega. Sure, NASCAR was trying to slow the cars down following the Bobby Allison incident in Talladega 20 years ago. Bully for NASCAR. But given improving aerodynamics, improve that aspect of the cars and take those stupid plates off the care. It's a wonder the massive pileups have caused more injuries and another fatality or two to join Dale Earnhardt.

Isn't it funny how killing Kenny Irwin and Adam Petty didn't get NASCAR moving on improving safety, but killing Ironhead had them all up in arms?

11. spnited

spnited Active Member

When is the last time someone won a NASCAR race by say 200 yards or more?
    When is the last time a NASCAR race wasn't decided in the final 5 or so laps?
    When is the last time a NASCAR race didn't include a "bunch 'em up" yellow flag in the last 20 or so laps?

In other words, when was the last legitimate, non-orchestrated finish to a NASCAR race?

12. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

But that happened a few years ago too, and they ended up with field-fillers, guys who would race about 5 laps, park the car and be out. And get paid some decent money for doing so.

Draft saved Draft deleted