1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How to make a copy editor laugh

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by WolvEagle, Jul 16, 2010.

1. WolvEagle

WolvEagle Well-Known Member

Edited this gem today from a story about two running events that will be part of a community festival:

For more information on the runs, call (phone number).
    ---------
    A couple years ago while writing about a police incident, the reporter said that someone was driving a miniature van.

2. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

"Sorry, but that story budgeted for 12 inches? It's wound up a lot longer than that."

3. WolvEagle

WolvEagle Well-Known Member

I hear that at least once every deadline day, and we have three editions a week. Our managing editor has come to expect it.

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

The editor told me to write as long as I wanted, we have plenty of space.

5. nietsroob17

nietsroob17 Well-Known Member

We had a story, a Q&A with a local school board candidate, that jumped from 1B to 2B...to 3B...to 6B before it was finally said and done. Can Tuesday get here soon enough so this guy can get soundly beaten in the voting booths?

6. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Ran into this a lot when I worked for a weekly that would run statements from each candidate for office. Finally had to put a word limit on 'em.

7. WBarnhouse

WBarnhouse Member

Two great copy editing stories:

When he was with the Dallas Morning News, Mark Blaudschun covered an OU football game and his lead was something like: "Oklahoma, where the wins come sweepin' down the plains." Copy editor adhered to style and changed "wins" to "victories."

Myself, I was writing a Final Four preview/regional wrapup package in 1995. Mississippi State was going to play Syracuse in Final Four semifinals. Jackie Sherrill, then Miss State FB coach, had castrated a cow to inspire his team when it played Texas. I wrote something like, "No word if Jackie Sherrill will pump up the football team by castrating an orange." Argued with an editor for 5 minutes because he reasoned that "you can't castrate an orange."

8. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

"But I can castrate you, you anal retentive asshole."

I trust your comeback was something along those lines.

9. WBarnhouse

WBarnhouse Member

Wish I had thought of that but I think the argument was more along the lines of me trying to explain the difference between figurative and literal. Probably only took a coupla months off the end of my life, no big deal.

10. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Well played.

11. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

The way I heard it, he performed a hysterectomy on a bull.

12. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Yeah, the bain of my existence.

Draft saved Draft deleted