1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How to make a bowling ball hook

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by trifectarich, Jul 29, 2009.

1. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

You can -- but you don't want to. It's called a backup ball and it will cause you more problems than it will solve.

That's not true, Petrie. The way a ball is drilled plays far more of a role in how it will hook or not hook than the weight. I can give you a 16-pound ball that will hook more than a 10-pound ball because the heavier ball is drilled with more weight on the right side and/or where the fingers are drilled. That's why PBA-level bowlers may have a dozen different balls of the same weight -- just drilled differently.

But you're right in the general action of throwing a hook. Another variable in the equation is the amount of finger action you put on the ball at the moment of release. That's where the majority of break comes from: the fingers.

2. Petrie

Petrie Guest

Hey, I *did* have a disclaimer ;)

3. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

This is how you do it:

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=4142534&categoryid=3060647

4. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Coming from a guy named "Gutter," I'll take my chances. 8)

Seriously, that's pretty awesome. I'll have to give that a try.

5. Chef

Chef Active Member

Just act like you're throwing an underhanded softball........same motion......flick of the wrist and everything......

A gentle 6-7 board draw......wouldn't call it a hook....has produced a high game of 237 from ye olde chef.

6. Fly

Fly Well-Known Member

A properly fitted, drilled and weighted ball is almost as vital to get a proper roll on the ball as is any hand/wrist action- which Birdscribe stated above. I gave up the game for the most part when I got married and moved several years back, but I did enjoy it (other than going home smelling like a bad chimney and needing to shower because of the cigarette smoke).

Best average in a short-summer league was 194, but never could get above 188 for a full year. Had a PB of 16 consecutive strikes (over two games, last ten of one game, first six of the next) but high game of 268/high series 716.

And with current ball technology, weight is pretty irrelevant. I had to move to a 15-pound ball before quitting due to a wrist injury and it had as much carry/hitting power (maybe more) than the two-year old 16-pounder I had used previously.

7. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

booze, drugs and bitch slap?

8. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Ask Kevin Provencher. [/crossthread]

9. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I can't make a bowling ball hook, but I can make a shoe smell. [/sorry, but Rodney Dangerfield was the first thing that popped into my noggin]

10. RossLT

RossLT Guest

Petrie, you still rolling with Frank?

And don't mention my bowling skills, or lack thereof.

:)

11. Petrie

Petrie Guest

I think Frank (and his case) were left at the Epicenter one night :( Alcohol likely was involved...

12. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted