1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How to leave a new job?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Mulligan, Mar 27, 2011.

1. Mulligan

Mulligan Guest

I just started a new non-journalism gig in January after spending eight years at my old shop. Unfortunately, it isn't what I envisioned, and I'm contemplating applying for another job that seems like a better fit.

My question is whether or not I have to put my new job on my resume? I'm worried it will look worse to leave a job after three months than to be jobless during that span.

Any thoughts?

2. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

It will look worse to have a gap in your resume.

If you were somewhere for eight years, that by far (especially nowadays) balances it out.

3. reformedhack

reformedhack Well-Known Member

In this economy, moving between jobs isn't a rarity anymore. As long as you don't have a history of jumping around after short stints -- and it doesn't appear that you do, since you just spent eight years somewhere else -- you'll probably be fine. If you're asked, it's perfectly fair to say that the new job wasn't a good fit. I'd certainly appreciate your candor if I were interviewing you.

That said, it would look better if you gave it more than your 90-day probation period to decide to find a new gig. Six months would look better on the resume than three. Are you in any danger of being let go? Then it does become a liability.

4. gutenberg

gutenberg Guest

If it was a nonjournalism job and your resume is highlighting your journalism career, why the need to put it down?

It would seem weird to see "welder" or "vacuum machine salesman" on a resume seeking a newspaper job. You can always tell them about the nonjournalism gig in a phone conversation when they ask "what are you doing now for work?"

5. Mulligan

Mulligan Guest

I'm not in danger of being let go, or at least I don't think so. It's just that a great job popped up that would be a better fit, and I'd regret not at least trying for it.

6. Mulligan

Mulligan Guest

Well the new role isn't a 180 from journalism. I moved more into PR/media relations, so many of the skills remain the same. Still a big career change. The new job is simply more vertical than I'm used to. I thought I would like that change, but I miss getting my hands more dirty.

7. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

This reminds me of all the non-journalism jobs I tried for during my 14 months of unemployment. One look at my resume, and they thought "As soon as something in his field comes open, he's gone, and we'll have to start over and train someone else."

Take care of yourself. That's how the people hiring operate. Do what's best for you. Do it respectfully, with grace, but look out for No. 1.

8. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Include it. What are you going to say in an interview when they ask, 'So, not working now?' You're going to have to admit it anyway, and then you'll look like you had something to hide.

No crime in acknowledging you want to be doing the job you're applying for, not the job you have.

9. dirtybird

dirtybird Well-Known Member

14 years? that seems awfully impressive. (emphasis on the awful)

10. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I'm just looking for part-time jobs until grad school starts. Turned down from Target because of the degree.

One funny thing is I did land a part-time gig working the pitch tracking machine for a Class AAA team this summer. Pays about what I'd get as a stringer covering a typical game.

11. newinthefield

newinthefield Member

I quit my first job out of college after three weeks, and when future employers asked, I was open and honest about the situation. None of them (four interviews) took it into serious consideration that I am aware of, and I found myself in a new position just a couple months later.

12. inthesuburbs

inthesuburbs Member

1. Definitely apply for the job if it's right for you.

2. No, you don't have to list a short-term stint on a resume. If someone asks about the gap, explain that it was a mistake to leave the business, and you're back. 'Nuff said.

Draft saved Draft deleted