1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How to kindly tell the d-bag to stop clapping

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by rolling, Sep 1, 2006.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I had something similar happen when I was SE of my college paper. I go to one of our school's football games and find one of the guys on my staff sitting there in our school's gear, including a sweatshirt and a hat. I had made general comments about dressing appropriately to the staff, but I guess he didn't realize what that meant.

I then had to muster all of my self control before telling him we do not dress that way to cover a game. I didn't send him home, but that was his last time on press row for that season.

2. ned racine

ned racine Member

why not say..."hey douche bag quit clappig"

how about this.. iwas told by a radio guy that in the electronic media booth at Comerica Park,this tool named HOndo from Lansing tries to pass out rally Big Time Chew to help the Tigers...

someone should sa..hey you fat douche bag..the big time chew is for the players

3. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

Ummmm. Big Time Chew. That takes me back. I liked the grape flavor best. :D

4. expendable

A high school press box is really not a press box (at least where I come from). It's more of an operations box, and with the excetption of the clock operator, most of the people there are going to be home town guys. I've learned to take it with a grain of salt. Many there probably have kids on the field, or are teachers at the school and consider some of the players to be their own. It's hard to blame them for cheering. A college press box or press row is a different story, however, and fanboys should be shown the door.

5. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I can't stand the grape flavor.

I had a bad experience with that chew that included severe diarrhea and vomiting as a child.

Brings back absolutely horrible memories for me.

6. Crimson Tide

Crimson Tide Member

Did you swallow it and got sick digesting?

For the record, I prefer watermelon (if I remember correctly).

7. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Make that three. I don't think I could cheer like that now if I wanted to.

8. KP

KP Active Member

Big LEAGUE Chew?

9. expendable

Oh, that's right. Big Time Chew must have been the generic equivalent demanded by the HMO.

10. cubman

cubman Member

I think like many others here, I've managed to shelve my allegiances on the occasions I get to cover my favorite Local State U. Last Saturday, though, I let myself slip. Underachieving Backup replaces Heisman Favorite in the second half, and on the first play he BADLY fumbles the option pitch and Opposing U. recovers. I let a big "Chriiiiist" slip out (channel Harry Caray), but no one else heard it because they were moaning and/or laughing out of amusement. So I figure my faux pas wasn't too egregious.

11. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I had a terrible stomach virus and a mouthful of grape Big League Chew. It's a taste that reminds me of shitting and puking all over the bathroom of my grandmother's friend.

12. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

League I cover puts signs up in every press box saying it's a working area and cheering or derogatory comments aren't allowed. Naturally, people do it and nothing happens.

Draft saved Draft deleted