1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How to insult someone from (name of state here)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by micropolitan guy, Jul 25, 2008.

1. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

There are many ways to insult a flagship university, but a favorite in the SEC come College World Series time each year is this breakdown of the spelling of Omaha:

Ole
    Miss
    At
    Home
    Again

2. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

Exactly. Being from Texas, born and raised, I am a Texan. It's a form of pride there. There's also something in Texas that I've noticed that they don't do many other places: you can't go anywhere in the state without seeing the flag. It's on city streets, at every restaurant, on their license plates, etc. There's probably not another state in the US that displays their flag as prominently as they do in Texas.

And I've been called a Yankee since I moved to Kentucky, despite the fact that Kentucky and Kansas are basically on the same longitude.

And there's a lot of intrastate fighting because KU sympathizers and K-State sympathizers. The K-State ones are the hicks (because we're the ones with the agriculture school...you know, raising the food that feeds the world and all of that) and the Republicans and Lawrence is just full of a bunch of hippies and liberals.

3. AgatePage

AgatePage Active Member

We always called them Iowegians too ... mostly just to follow along: http://www.dailyiowegian.com/

4. ScribePharisee

ScribePharisee New Member

This wasn't my post.

5. canucklehead

canucklehead Active Member

Here in Canada we used to have a comedy act called MacLean and MacLean.
    I saw them at a bar once.
    One MacLean says 'my girlfriend told me to kiss her where it smells.'
    Other MacLean replies "So, what did you do?"
    Answer: " I drove her to (name of our nearby rival town)."
    Got a big laugh.
    Next night they undoubtedly used our town's name as the punchline. Our town did smell, by the way.

6. cougargirl

cougargirl Active Member

Good to see this thread resurrected. :D

Maryland - Eastern Shore folk refer to Western Shore folk as "chicken-neckers," a reference to crab bait. (Eastern Shore-ers use eels as bait.)

Also, "billies" is a Maryland term - used to refer to hillbillies. In that case, they came in from Appalachia to work in the factories in the Baltimore area. If you ever watched Homicide: Life on the Street there were references to "billies" and "Billytown," a neighborhood in Baltimore.

Saw someone brought up "hoopies" earlier, in reference to West Virginia - I always heard that in Pennsylvania.

Another one is in Maine - anyone who is not born/raised in Maine is "from away."

7. ScribePharisee

This must be Dumbass Wednesday. I didn't see that this was a resurrected post. Hell I probably did post what I said I didn't post. Someone feel like doing thread research? Damn, to pull something out of the vault after a year..wow.

8. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I haven't seen that one, but I've seen Ole Miss and Mississippi State get their mascots reversed dozens of times. Pisses them off to no end, hardly makes a peep in the other 49 states.

9. ScribePharisee

They're all Rebs in Mississippi.

10. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

I would never say Worshington, but I would say Apple Knockers.

Draft saved Draft deleted