1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How to insult someone from (name of state here)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by micropolitan guy, Jul 25, 2008.

1. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

"Texan" usually carries enough negative connotation that no special epithet is required.

Speaking of Texas, the derisive term for Louisianans in Texas is "coon-ass." And no, that has nothing to do with the hateful (and mercifully, archaic) racial epithet. The word comes from the practice of using raccoons for food or clothing. It's actually an epithet intended for use against Cajuns, but many Texans neglect to distinguish between Cajun and non-Cajun Louisianans, just as Texans are apt to refer to all Hispanics as "Mexican," regardless of origin.
    [​IMG]

I once lived in the Mexican state of Campeche, renowned (stereotypically) for its lazy, unintelligent and ill-mannered residents. "Campechano" can be used as a psuedo-epithet and Campechano jokes are common:

"How does a Campechano tie his shoes?"
    *places left foot up on a step, bends down to tie right shoe*

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Someone called me?

3. writing irish

Yankee is a fascinating word, as its meanings change depending on where one is from.

Could mean:

-a person from the USA
    -a person from New England
    -a person from the Northeast or Midwest
    -a person from a non-Southern state

4. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

You beat me to it. I never really got it, but it did seem to be something most people from the east side of the state used/knew.

5. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

I've also heard those from Utah called "Utards" and of course, Nebraskans are "Bugeaters."

And don't New Englanders derisively call fall tourists "Peepers?" (But only after they've purchased their overpriced maple syrup.)

6. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

To my father, who is from the Boston area, a Yankee meant someone from Vermont.

7. RossLT

RossLT Guest

I hate it when people say Wershigton, I have lived here my whole life, except when I was in school in Nevada, and I never saw an R in the spelling of the state

8. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Oklahomans = Oklahomos and also green taggers.
    As in, "goddam green tagger cut me off in traffic today."
    It is a reference to the license plates in Oklahoma...

9. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

My grandpa uses "goddamn Okie" in the place of "green tagger," and he uses it often in that context.

10. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

"Coonass" is also kind of a term of endearment in Louisiana. It's like the South Louisiana version of "redneck". If you are one, you embrace it when someone hurls it at you.
    Didn't Nick Saban get in some hot water for using it at an Alabama alumni meeting a couple years ago? Called LSU fans "coonasses", and took a ton of heat -- more from people outside Louisiana who had never heard it before, I suspect, than any Louisianans.

11. writing irish

Can't remember whether it was Larry McMurtry, Nelson Algren or John Graves, but I once read a piece about New Orleans where a New Orleanian was complaining about "some yankee from Memphis."

12. azom

azom Member

I've heard people from South Dakota referred to as "rabbit chokers."

But it's possible that my dad is the only person in the world that uses this phrase.

Draft saved Draft deleted