1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How to insult someone from (name of state here)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by micropolitan guy, Jul 25, 2008.

1. nibs price

nibs price Member

Iowa is actually Idiots Out Walking About... or I Owe the World an Apology

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Cityside one, for those in Minnesota....
    Remember, when you date a girl from Edina, it's Every Day I Need Attention

3. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

Although it's possible Oklahomans view "Okie" as an acceptable term, I've heard folks in adjacent states use it as a term of derision (hi, grandpa!).

4. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

CT and Mass are the only two states I've lived in my 25 years, and I can definitely say Mass drivers (though I think I've actually heard "Massholes" more in MA than in CT) are more aggressive. Of course, if you're in Boston, you have to be.

5. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

People in Illinois are called flatlanders sometimes. I don't really get why that's insulting, though.

6. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

My rural Wisconsin relatives refer to any city folk as "flatlanders." Maybe that's supposed to be an opposite play on "hillbillies," even though the land is pretty flat where said relatives live.

My Upper Michigan relatives refer to Lower Peninsula people as "trolls," because they live below the bridge (Mackinac, that is).

7. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

The Florida residents who lived all their lives in New York, moved down to Florida and spend much of their summers in the mountains of North Carolina are either referred to as Floridiots or Halfbacks (begin in NY, move to FL and then go halfway back to NC).

8. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

Here's an unusual one: People in Missouri (particularly St. Louis) use the term "Hoosier" in place of hick, redneck, etc., though I don't think it necessarily is meant to deride folks from Indiana.

9. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I haven't lived in NJ for more than 10 years, and I'm still annoyed when people do the Joe Piscopo-SNL 'Iam from Jersey. Are you from Jersey?' bit.

10. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

People from Charlotte are called Charlotteans (but they say it's pronounced Shar-la-TEE-uns).

11. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Don't forget the two different degrees of Yankeedom.
    A plain old "Yankee" is a northerner who comes to visit and leaves.
    A "Goddamn Yankee" is a northerner who comes and stays.

12. luckyducky

luckyducky Guest

Just learn how to pronounce Oregon, Washington and the towns...if you can't do that, people are offended.

It's not Or-e-gone or WaRsh-ing-ton (or WORSH-ing-ton), no matter how many people pronounce them that way.

And good luck with: Willamette (rhymes with dammit), Puyallup, Sequim, Wahkiakum, Estacada, Camas .... I could go on for days.

Finally, it's PIKE Place Market. NOT Pike'S Place. :)

Draft saved Draft deleted