1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

how to handle when coach is star player's parent

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Dan Robrish, Oct 15, 2012.

1. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

I would mention it in the season preview story and call it good. During the season, if people want to know why you don't mention little Johnny is the coach's son, kindly refer them back to the season preview story.

2. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Unless the last name is like "Smith" or something, I think it'd be worth mentioning more if the star player with the same last name is not related.

3. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Maybe some journalists might benefit from hearing how their stories play with readers as opposed to other journalists. In the end it's the opinion of readers that will make or break a paper.

4. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Maybe Norrin Radd is a journalist after all.
    He's quick to deny blame like a typical mid-manager.

5. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Please attack JR in a similar manner. :D

6. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

no need to mention that in every story...in my mind it's not worth mentioning often at all.

I just had a kid go through three years as starting QB playing for his dad and mentioned their relationship in the last story I did during his high school career about him as a three-sport athlete.

Had a point guard play basketball for his dad for three years and it never needed to be mentioned.

Draft saved Draft deleted