1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How to handle unreturned calls?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by copperpot, Nov 6, 2008.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I'm not suggesting anyone do this...

About a decade ago a player's agent told me he would have the contract details at a certain time and to call him at that time. I only preface this by saying, I was on pretty good terms with the guy.

I called him at the time we had agreed on.

"I'll call you back in five minutes."

An hour passes.

I call him again.

"Five minutes."

Two hours pass.

"Give me 15 minutes..."

An hour later I call back and I get a voice mail.

On the voice mail I say, "I'm going to call you every 10 minutes until you talk to me."

After the fourth message, he called me back laughing.

2. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Rule No. 1 in reporting: Don't be afraid to be a pest.

Won't return your calls?

Keep calling.

And calling.

And calling.

And calling ...

As many numbers as you can find for the guy, keep calling them. Go to his office. Leave messages.

Eventually, he'll talk to you just to get rid of you.

In this case, it sounds like there's plenty of material without the AD -- athletes, people from the nonprofits, people being assisted by the program, coaches. But in general, keep after people until you get them -- like Mizzou said, every 10 minutes if you have to.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Good advice on being a pest.

I just keep calling and calling. When I get the person I am pleasant, though, and act as if nothing happened.

But in this case I would go stake out the AD.

4. Walter Burns

Walter Burns Member

Two things come to mind.
    My father, who was in sales, taught me that people can easily say no over the phone. It becomes harder in person. When all else fails, there's no substitute for face time.
    I've also found that the following phrase works well: "My deadline is tomorrow, and I don't want to put in the story that you couldn't be reached for comment, but I will if I have to."

5. copperpot

copperpot Well-Known Member

Staking out his office has certainly crossed my mind, but the guy is a damn phantom. I get his voicemail literally every time I call his office. I don't have time to waste driving over there and then waiting outside his office only to have him never materialize.

What really puzzles me is that he gave me his cell number and said how excited he was to talk. And everyone else I've talked to for this story has really been into it. I just don't get it.

Anyway, in part because of the input here, I just left a message and said, "I thought we were supposed to talk last night, but I never did get your call. I have to wrap this story up, so if I don't hear back from you by the weekend, it's going to run without you, even though I think you could add some really great information. I don't have time to keep making calls like this, so if you want to talk, you have my numbers."

It really sucks, but I think that both conveyed my annoyance and left the door open for him to still squeeze his way into (and improve) the story.

Thanks again for taking the time to reply.

6. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Don't say you don't have time to keep calling him. That sounds a bit snarky. Just don't use the guy. Write around the source because you don't need his input. You don't need to write AD Whatshisname did not return phone calls seeking comment.

It's a feature story and easy to be done with.

7. Mizzougrad96

Never assume they will call you back. If they do, that's a bonus.

If they call you on it just say something like, "I understand how busy you must be, so I was just hoping to catch you..."

8. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

It sounds like there may be a bigger story worth pursuing.

You say the guy "is a damn phantom" and never picks up the phone. His phone always goes to voice mail. He's never in his office or "is out."

WTF is the guy doing? I know ADs are busy but he has to be around or answer his phone at some point.

9. Mizzougrad96

I know tons of people like that who never answer anything unless they're expecting a call back.

10. Gold

Gold Active Member

I wouldn't get so upset about it. From what you said, it doesn't necessarily seem like the AD is trying to brush you off. He may not be organized when it comes to telephone messages, or may make promises and not remember. I would give him the benefit of the doubt as to him not being a bad guy. Maybe he is also a coach and has that on his plate and on his mind.

There are also a number of things you can do to contact him and work around it besides not doing this in the story. You can send an e-mail to him - maybe some people respond better to that.

The other suggestion would be to speak to his secretary. If you call that person a couple of times and are friendly, she might remind him (assuming the secretary is a woman, which is probably better for you because most people have a harder time ignoring a woman.) After two or three calls, the secretary might push the issue just so she doesn't have to repeat the message - secretaries can exert influence in athletic or college departments.

11. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

secretaries can be a reporter's best friend

12. copperpot

copperpot Well-Known Member

I did the e-mail route, and his only reply was to suggest I call him, haha.

I find the varying responses interesting. I sound "snarky" to say I don't have time to keep calling him, but the guy blew me off twice when we had agreed-upon times to talk, including once when I had to rearrange my schedule and got very stressed doing so. I can't imagine treating someone that way and then being annoyed when they finally said they didn't have time to keep calling. If anything, I'd be embarrassed that I was called on it, cause I'd know damn well I'd been a jerk.

Draft saved Draft deleted