1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How to handle being Gundied.

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by goplayintramurals, Oct 14, 2007.

1. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

What sort of trouble did this QB get in that made it a story that in turn pissed off the coach?

Sounds like a situation that must be sorted out ASAP. You and the SE/ME need to meet with the coach and AD and maybe even principal to get this all figured out.

Seems pretty lame that a newspaper that covers said team doesn't get any quotes from coach or players. What's the point of going to the game then? If he closes his locker room to you and won't speak to you, I'd seriously consider not covering the next game and play up another game if it's possible. That would really send a message, but that's also why I'd try to get a meeting together before the next game.

2. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

We had a similar situation with a coach in our area once. He told us he was no longer speaking to us. So we stopped covering the games.

Of course, we got complaints. And we told every caller, "We'd love to cover you, but Coach Bumblefuck says he doesn't want us out there anymore."

After about a week of this, we were invited to a big apologetic meeting with the AD in which he basically begged us to come back.

3. Cadet

Cadet Guest

Yeah, you need to mention this to the AD, even if it's just casually and not a "formal complaint" conversation. The coach has a boss.

4. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

That's a sad situation because, generally, the coach doesn't give a dick about coverage. But it takes away any publicity the kids could get. It's a bullshit move from a coaching standpoint.

5. Basically, he and two other guys did something retarded that warranted a 1 game suspension. Didn't happen, we ran a story on it, and your typical small town community outrage ensues.

I'm guessing the angry outburst stemmed from the fact that the quarterback has been grabbing a ton of media attention for both on and off the field actions, and he feels that someone else deserves some recognition, which really I can sympathize with. But, hey, when a kid reels off that many yards and 4 TDs, thats worth a quote or two no matter what. I've made an effort to interview a new kid every week, but its tough when one player is getting about 70-75% of the touches. The sad part is that the kid in question is the only one who has handled the whole thing like an absolute pro. He's never been hesitant to give a quote/open up even after all of this.

Also, thank god, my SE/ME have been incredibly supportive in backing me up on this one so I'm expecting a meeting/phone call/something on Monday. From what I've read on here you can never underestimate the value of a boss with an actual spine.

6. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

Be polite, but firmly let the coach know that he is not your coach. Tell him you don't call his plays. Tell him you would love to talk to the offensive linemen, but that you have to talk to the offensive stat star, too. If he says no, ask him why, and quote his answer.

Don't be an asshole for no reason, but don't back down from this, because the coach has to understand that he is NOT YOUR BOSS.

Just about every time that a coach said a player was not available for comment, I have written it. It's shortened several "bans" before.

Now, if a player doesn't want to talk, so be it. No big deal. But write that the player declined to comment.

People always want to see what Johnny QB has to say, and it's our job to talk to them, so if we can't talk to them, we should write why.

7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Exactly.

goplay, you seem to have handled this just fine so far, but you need to get the AD involved and make sure he knows your side of the story as soon as possible.

8. jfs1000

jfs1000 Member

Ask him that if you are going to cover the team you want input in the gameplan. Then tell him that you do your job while he does his.

And, if he still won't let the kid speak, say in the story that the coach didn't allow Johnny Star to speak to reporters after the game. Johnny Star's parents would be pretty upset -- I GURRNTEE IT. Then BURY coverage. The guy will get a hint in a week. Trust me. For all prep sports, if the local paper doesn't have it, then it didn't happen.

I know you are young, but you have to have confidence. Especially if this is a one paper town.

If you can't speak to the kid, I wouldn't put any player quotes in.

9. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

Echoing what a previous post said...

Just write your story without comment from the kid -- most high school kids rarely say much that adds much to the story anyway -- and put in the story that the coach refused to allow a reporter to talk to the QB.

The coach will look like a jackass and he'll hear plenty about it from parents and/or the AD.

You are going to do your job, which is writing about what happened in the game, with or without the cooperation of anyone.

10. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

Amen.

11. awriter

awriter Active Member

If "no one gives a damn about the offensive line," then why does he want you to talk to the right tackle or center?

I'll just echo what others have said. Take the high road, but be firm with this coach that you will dictate who gets quoted -- not him.

12. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

Because he wants someone to give a damn about the offensive line, I'd wager. Sounds like a coach with too much time on his hands.

Draft saved Draft deleted