1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How to handle being Gundied.

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by goplayintramurals, Oct 14, 2007.

1. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

That's true. You probably make him want to puke, too.

2. John

John Well-Known Member

When something like that happens, make sure you look the guy in the eye while he's yelling at you. Let's him know you're not scared of him. When he's done, take a deep breath before responding and then calmly explain your situation.

The calmer (more calm?) you are, the more he looks like a jackass.

3. Good point. And try not to laugh at him either. I have a habit of doing that when people get mad at me. They tend not to like it very much.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I'd interview the right tackle.

First question: Why is your coach such a douche?

Then spit in the coach's face and tell him his mother is a whore. Then take a shit on his windshield before you drive off.

5. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

You're going soft in your old age, Mizzou. :)

6. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

And generally, the more quiet you become, the quieter he'll become. It's a part of verbal judo. Not only will it make him look like an asshole, but it'll probably calm him down a little bit more.

7. I would recommend always taking the high road -- not the easiest method but generally works out in your favor in the end. And then like you did, print exactly why you have no comments from the coach or his star players (in a just-the-facts approach, not taking a dig at him) ... You might touch base with him in a day or two, and try to work it out, explain your position. He may have a legit beef with your paper or just something he wants to get off his chest. Or he was just having a bad day. Then again, he just could be a jerk. Who knows. But you can always control you...

I know some schools/coaches had beefs with my paper from long before I ever showed up. I had to weather scorn for awhile until they learned who I was ...

8. fossywriter8

fossywriter8 Well-Known Member

Had a situation several years ago where the home team was up by about 10 or 11 points and scored on a 50-yard pass on the first play of the fourth quarter.
    The only thing the visiting coach said, immediately after going through the post-game handshakes, was something to the effect of "Somebody should tell coach PickOnMyTeam that he can't get any more (playoff) computer points for running up the score" while he was literally running to the bus.
    I ran the quote.
    By the way, he had his team's best run of the night.

9. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

Tell him you slept with his wife and the jerk store just called.

10. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

You tell him you would be happy to talk to the linemen after you talk to the quarterback.

If you get good stuff, use it.

OK, re-read. I see that was not an option.

Are you gonna call his AD?

11. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Yeah. But make sure you do that soon. You don't want to have to fly to Akron, Ohio, just to use the right comeback.

12. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Ask him how to spell "retard".

Draft saved Draft deleted