1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How to get away ... Pistorius will not be guilty of murder

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JayFarrar, Sep 11, 2014.

1. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

http://www.cnn.com/2014/09/11/world/africa/oscar-pistorius-verdict/

Huh, ain't that something.

2. ringer

ringer Member

I think that's part of the verdict is right.

Having spent time in South Africa discussing with locals their attitudes about crime, police and personal firearms, having interviewed Pistorius at length in the past, and given some of the shaky neighbors' accounts, I think his story is/was credible.

Should be interesting to hear the rest of the verdict.

3. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

I would still not want his mistake on my conscience.

4. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

From other stories I read, sounds like he will be found guilty of the culpable homicide charge and still face up to 15 years in prison for firing blindly into the bathroom instead of taking other measures like calling the police or security of their gated community first. Intent can be a hell of a thing to prove, especially with shaky witnesses. Only person who knows beyond a shadow of a doubt is Pistorius.

5. ringer

ringer Member

I'm with you on that.

I also think the judge was right about today's verdict of culpable homicide.

Even though sentencing is scheduled for Oct 13, what do you guys think would be fair sentence given the judge's assessment? (Minimum would be a fine, perhaps probation, and maximum would be 15 yrs in the clink)

6. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

I think he should get three or four years. He killed somebody.

7. Morris816

Morris816 Member

Pistorius found guilt of culpable homicide:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/olympics/2014/09/12/oscar-pistorius-murder-trial-verdict/15457103/

Draft saved Draft deleted