1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How to develop relationships with female athletes

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Still a Bulls fan, Aug 2, 2006.

1. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

I had covered a state track meet, and one of our local girls did not do as well as we'd expeected.

Now, I knew her mom, and I had interviewed the kid before.

But I really didn't need to know, "Off the record, I would have done better if I hadn't had my period."

Now this was *before* I had teen-age daughters of my own.

I was so squicked.

2. Cadet

Cadet Guest

Define?

3. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

DO NOT treat them like you would treat a guy. There's plenty of stuff you could say to an 18 or 19-year-old guy that you can not say to a girl of the same age.

4. BigDog

BigDog Active Member

Ask them if a guy named Boots lives in their neighborhood.

5. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

http://www.wordcentral.com/byod/212434.html

Word history on that entry is wrong, though. It's at least a decade old and started on Usenet.

6. LiveStrong

LiveStrong Active Member

Not to threadjack too bad, but always thought this was funny.

One year in college, my fall beat was the women's soccer team. I was walking to my friend's dorm and went into the
    building right behind a group of four or five players from the team. As they walked by a poster of the football team, one of them pointed to a kid on the poster and said, "you know (player)? he fucked the shit out of me last weekend. That's why I played so bad (insert day I can't remember). I could barely walk."

I walked into the elevator behind them and she said hi to me and then clearly realized that I might have heard that. Somehow, it didn't make one of our notebooks in the paper that week. Would have been a fantastic advance. ;D

7. MertWindu

MertWindu Active Member

SaBF, don't read this as snarky, because it's really not meant that way. Your problem here probably comes from the same thing that caused you to start this thread. If you're looking at developing a rapport with females so differently from males, then you're going to psych yourself out, and that same instinct that tells girls not to date the not-so-confident guy is going to keep them frmo talking to you the way you want. Talk to them like people, and as some have mentioned here, have a sense of humor. If you can get a girl (or a boy) to giggle, that's your opening.

Draft saved Draft deleted