1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How to determine freelance rates?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by JD, Jun 25, 2010.

1. JD

JD Member

I recently obtained a freelance position with a UFL team for this upcoming season. I live in one of the markets and figure to be covering some training camp days and games as well.

I am also currently employed by a sports magazine, and working full time there. So, I am just wondering if anyone can help me on figuring out a rate for my freelance work....The person I am in contact with in the UFL asked what my rate was, and I told him I would get back to him.

I have never really given my own rate when it came to freelance pieces before, as the majority of my work has been either full time at a daily, or doing some freelancing where a paper already had its growing rate.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I can't imagine a UFL team has a lot in its coffers for freelance, nor do I know what your financial needs are, but I'd say quote something higher than what you'd hope to make and see where he goes with it. Since you have a full-time job, it's not a make-or-break thing.

3. JD

JD Member

I appreciate the advice....I spoke with my editor and he suggested the same thing....So we'll see what happens..

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I used to make a fortune stringing MLS and WNBA games early in my career. I could usually find three or four papers willing to pay $75-$100 a pop for stories. These days you might be lucky to get $50.

5. rpmmutant

rpmmutant Member

It used to be the general rule was $1 per word. Nowadays, though, you're lucky to get 10 cents per word. You should be getting at least $75 per story, and that's a bare minimum 500 word story. For gamers, I would ask for $75. Anything longer, ask for $125. That's what most of the newspapers I work for pay.

6. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

Mizzou: I got $125 for a an afl2 team, and any papers I have been doing AHL stories for are paying $75 or $100. Many papers also go $75 or $100 for high schools.

My favorite one pays $100, I send an e-mal to corporate, and the money is in my bank account within a week.

7. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

Figuring out rates was my least favorite aspect of freelancing. I covered stories for a start-up organization four years ago, figuring the owner would suggest an amount he could afford. I would have probably accepted what he offered, but instead he wanted me to come up with a price. I didn't want to put him out of business so I suggested $50. I think by the end it was $75 a pop.
    I like playthrough's advice about starting higher than you're expecting to get.

Draft saved Draft deleted