1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How to deal with a breakup

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by RedHotChiliPrepper, May 29, 2006.

1. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

She's way too professional to even think about messing with my teeth.

My mental well-being? Well, that's a different matter altogether.

2. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Good idea, but the more important question remains. She never hummed that while picking at your mouth, did/does she?  :D

3. Norman Stansfield

Well played. She hooks me up with free clove oil, too, for those especially deep cavities.

4. Norman Stansfield

Nah, she's usually too busy babbling about this, that and the other.

I wonder if she gets pissed that I purposely don't brush or floss the week before my appointments. :eek:

5. Norman Stansfield

Heh-heh. I WAS kidding, by the way. Just to clarify.

6. BlacknGold

BlacknGold Member

I think I'll just mention this on every board...my girlfriend broke up with me about a week ago after four years. It sucked, then a few days later, she said how she was now screwing her boss...it turned into rage. I just channel it into furious masturbating, that's my word of advice. Love yourself, it's the only one who won't hurt you.

7. Flash

Flash Guest

Too much information ...

8. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Jesus, what a bitch. Proof that men aren't the only ones that can be assholes.

9. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

More sob stories (didn't we just have this thread?). It's been a bad recent period for relationships around me. My parents divorced, after 26 years, in March. My last breakup happened in January:

I got an e-mail to end it at the end of the month (sucks doesn't it, Flash?), but I got three weeks of very short/curt phone calls before that and ignored attempts to discuss whatever "problem" she wouldn't tell me about. It turned out to be that she was "talking" to her ex again, which she finally admitted after 3-4 months of denying that she had feelings for him when I found out he had been calling her. She had convinced me once that it was just him that wouldn't leave her alone, him that didn't have "closure", him that still had feelings.

Yeah, not so much.

This was a 2-3 year relationship that went down the drain, one in which she had moved across the country to live with me for a year, then moved back home to "be closer to family" (I dunno what the fuck to believe about anything she says now), and then I moved all the way across the country, partly for my new and better job ... but, of course, mostly because of her.

I'm doing worlds better now than I was right after that -- a vacation to Arizona helped in March; and taking care of *myself* every day has helped, well, every day -- so I'm starting to move on now. Fortunately, I love living in my new state (I really did want to move out West anyway), but I'm still stuck in a pretty lonely situation for the most part. Didn't know anybody but her when I moved out here, and besides friends from work, I've only met a couple people that I talk to occasionally so far. So I do a lot of things by myself in my off-time, but I have fun. I go to ballgames, concerts, take long drives with the stereo blasting, explore new places, ride my bike for exercise around the college campus nearby and gaze at the coed beauties(!), treat myself whenever I feel like it -- to a good dinner, to a case of good beer, to a movie, to get something new for my place (I try to make my tiny-ass apartment somewhere I want to come *home* to, a real home, not somewhere that makes me feel depressed and alone.) Live for yourself -- try to impress yourself, not anyone else. That little adjustment will do you wonders.

So my advice, then, if I have any, is to learn how to be happy with yourself. Be happy by yourself, with yourself, for yourself. Work on that when you're single. Even if you've found your ultimate match -- the person who absolutely completes you -- you still have to be happy with yourself in order to make anyone else happy. Ultimately, when you wake up, you're the only face that's looking back at you in the mirror every day of your life.

10. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

At the request of millions, I tell you, millions, I'm going to give the cleaned up, OK to post version of my harsh yet effective advice.

Move the fuck on. Now.

Five words and they're the truest you will ever read.

Three years ago now, I was way way far away in a hotel when my phone rang about 3 a.m. The heinous bitch who had captured my son's fancy had called to dump him, about three days after sending him an "I love you and want to be with you forever" letter.
    My first temptation was to yell "YESSSSS" but me boy was hurting and I didn't want to wake the rest of the floor. So I told him to drink two beers and I'd call him later in the morning.

Three days later, I was with him and I started counting as we walked. I was up to 22 and he said, "What's with the counting?" That, I explained, is the number of women we passed walking alone in the two blocks between his dorm and my car.

They're EVERYWHERE, I noted.

There is no one person in the world - this applies to either sex - worth getting that worked up over. Again, I know that sounds harsh but it is true.

So sack up and move the fuck on, now. They don't want to be with you? THEIR loss, not yours. Fuck you very much, have a nice life, your shit will be placed at the curb and I'm moving on. Do not call me again, you had your shot.

I mean, if she's fucking her BOSS within days, was she worth it? You are better than that and I don't even know you.

My advice and an introduction to Jagerbombs cured my son quickly. There's a person who visits this site regularly who was responsible for Part B. He called me in advance to warn me that he was going to "supplement" my advice. Whatever, I said. Just promise if he mopes or whines you'll smack the shit out of him.

11. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

And, before anyone jumps my ass: Of course I know it isn't easy. It's hard as hell. I understand that. But it must be done.

Follow this advice and you will be fine MUCH faster than you think. Thank me later.

12. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

Moddy's right. Fuck 'em if they can't take a joke.

Whoever said this person did you a favor is right.

Life is way too short to give any more attention to some bitch who's banging her boss.

P.S. 22 yrs for me and the Spacebabe. And it ain't all been easy. But most of it's been fun. It's just your life. Stop acting like it's all so important. In four thousand years nobody will ever have heard of you and your problems. In the meantime, live.

Draft saved Draft deleted