1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How to deal with a breakup

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by RedHotChiliPrepper, May 29, 2006.

1. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I cracked myself up on that waiter/tipping thread. I had to reminisce.

2. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

I've gotten the Dear John ziggy, which I expected.
    I got the ziggy once from a live-in, who immediately went to the bedroom and called her new boyfriend. That hurt.
    I got one over the phone (a long distance thing) and that hurt even more.

They all suck. Let yourself wallow a bit, do stuff and listen to music that doesn't remind you of her, and try to move on. If you can't, find a professional to talk to. Don't wait 4 1/2 years like I did, figuring it would go away by itself. It still hurts, don't get me wrong, but I can watch the Oakland A's again, I understand my life a lot better and the mistakes I made before this doozy. Don't tough it out. Don't suppress it. Don't let it fester.

And the friends who tell you they "knew" it was coming in that I-told-you-so tone of voice? Ditch their sorry asses. Your friends will let you vent once or twice before helping you move on. But you don't need people treating your life like the postmortem of a football game.

Someone told me once the hurt lasts half as long as the relationship, which seems a little weird to me. Sometimes it helps to get back on the horse, as it were. And sometimes you need help. If you need it, get it. Life is too short to let events like that, and people like that, mess with your heart.

Good luck!

3. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Shit, I wish. My last serious boyfriend, it lasted almost six months. Probably took me at least that long to truly get over it.

Bastard. ;)

4. Flash

Flash Guest

Last one was eight months. It's been almost two since the last time I saw him. I think I'm almost over it. Maybe once a week I miss him now.
    So that theory is shot.

5. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

I'm guaranteed to see the girl I thought I was going to marry every four months or so...she's my dental hygenist.

Yes, I could have changed dentists. But I've been going to the same damn place for 15 years.

Anyway, the pain is doubled each time I'm in there -- my heart hurts nearly as much as my gums as she picks away at them.

6. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

Dude, switch your fucking dentist.
    You're paying her to cause you pain ... and not the pain in your tooth.

7. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Wow. All we need now is The Police's "King Of Pain" to complete this picture ...

8. Flash

Flash Guest

I just listened to enough sad songs. The new one by Hinder is particularly personal.

9. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Lots of instrumentals for me lately. Steve Hackett one hour, Chuck Mangione the next ... maybe some John Williams thrown in for good measure.

Words in music can sometimes be overrated. Sometimes.

10. Norman Stansfield

Ah well, it all evens out. I was getting free dental care when we were dating.

She still hooks me up with free bleach for my teeth, too.

11. Norman Stansfield

Don't think I haven't hummed that while sitting in that damn chair...

12. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

Wow, you're trusting.

Draft saved Draft deleted