1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How to deal with a breakup

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by RedHotChiliPrepper, May 29, 2006.

1. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Dye, being serious here: How do you expect him to solve his best friend? Just give up on his best friend because she's a female?
    What about living situations? He doesn't want to live there any more, she does.

The job thing...eh. That's the easiest one to fix, perhaps, if one of them is willing to give up what they do. But I know several friends who wouldn't give up their careers for anything.

2. tonysoprano

tonysoprano Member

No matter what ...it's tough.

We're in a business where healthy, strong relationships are damned hard to have and sustain. I know so many of my co-workers who have been divorced, and who have resorted to self-destructive behavior (alcoholism, execessive gambling, etc.).

I will not do it, and I firmly believe that the best is yet to come.

3. tonysoprano

tonysoprano Member

4. tonysoprano

tonysoprano Member

For you veteran journalists ...how hard is it to truly believe in a long-lasting marriage?

5. Bubba Fett

Bubba Fett Active Member

True Lies, Tom Arnold's only decent performance.

And I don't have any advice to offer. Sorry.

6. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I have 28 years in - it hasn't always been easy but they're in the books. You can look it up.

7. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Hey, dude asked.

It IS possible.

Actually, she just called. She's never coming home. I hope that cheers everyone up.

8. tonysoprano

tonysoprano Member

RedHot -- Keep your head up

I know I'll make it, and I'm sure you will too.

9. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

We're coming up on 22 years. It hasn't all been bliss, but most of it has. I think it's helped that she's in the business too, so she understands why I work late (and vice-versa) and everything.
    Our kids would probably like it better if we were 9-to-5ers, but then there were the times like when my son got to visit his favorite team's locker room and meet the players. I think it evens out.

RedHot: Sorry about your breakup. It's been a while, but I have felt that pain.

10. Flash

Flash Guest

I can't beat that but I did have a four-year relationship end by e-mail. Yup, e-mail. Not quite the Post-It note that Burger gave Carrie Bradshaw but pretty heartless nonetheless.
    I can't be more eloquent than some who have posted before me. It's tough. I'm just getting over another breakup myself. It's been a month and some and damn if it doesn't still hurt like hell. But not every day. Not even every second day.
    So it will get better. In time.
    And all we can do is learn from what we just went through and be better because of it.

11. 21

21 Well-Known Member

RedHot (or maybe today, ColdBlue, but you'll be back)---this will sound harsh, but it's heartfelt:  she did you a favor. If she had these issues now, they would be worse once you got married.  I know this much about long relationships: the good things get better....the hard things rarely do.  When you find the relationship with limited hardships and differences, that's the keeper.

Also, people SAY they don't believe in 'breaks' but if it's meant to be, she'll find her way back.  If she doesn't, this is not the woman you were meant to spend your life with.

I know too many people who married because 'it was time' or 'the clock ran out.'  Now they're all divorced or they hate their spouse.

You didn't say how old you are, but I'll guess you have lots of wonderful years of freedom ahead of you, to find the girl who wants to make it work.

And do whatever Moddy says, I trust him completely.

12. Who Knows

Who Knows Member

That is the best thing to remember. Somewhere down the line, payback or karma or whatever you want to call it, will catch up with her. You may not even know when it happens to her, but sometime it will happen.

In the meantime, play some PS2 or Xbox, or grab a couple beers or go to the theater. Life will go on.

Draft saved Draft deleted