1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How to cover HS tranfers?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Sconnie, Jun 12, 2008.

1. RossLT

RossLT Guest

We had a kid who transferred because he didn't like a coach at one school, the high school sports organization made him sit for a year because it was obvious he transferred for athletics. My SE told me had he said the old school did not offer a program that the new school did he would have been eligible, anyone know anything about this kind of thing being true?

2. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

There were a couple of athletes at my high school that took ROTC since the other school in the district didn't offer it.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Yes. If you transfer for "academic" reasons or change residences, you don't have to sit out.

4. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

Agreed. If the kid stays at his current school, yo look atupid of you hadn;t talked to them.

But if they told you he was transferring, and he stays, you're good.

5. MCbamr

MCbamr Member

Not in every state. In Louisiana, "academic reasons" still means sitting out a year unless it's done before ninth grade or a few other exceptions.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Of course. Whose going to switch schools for academic reasons in Louisiana? ;)

7. Editude

Editude Active Member

At a former stop, a common way around the can't-transfer-for-sports rule was to sign up for the IB program at a noted wrestling power, enroll and then drop the program.

8. pressmurphy

pressmurphy Member

I got burned by one of these deals once on the best athlete we'd had in at least 15 years. I had everything nailed -- even had a confirmation from the superintendent of the kid's new district that the paperwork had been received -- but didn't have a quote from the kid or his family.

Wrote it in late July. Come early September, he was still at his old school.

Technically, I had everything right (except for the first-person confirmation), but I had to chalk it up as a blunder rather than a scoop.

Reiterating what's already been said: Get it from the horse's mouth.

Draft saved Draft deleted