1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How to choose clips and where to display them?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by mikecoppinger, Aug 9, 2010.

1. mikecoppinger

mikecoppinger New Member

Hi,

I recently graduated and as such have been applying for many jobs.

Also, I now have my own site, in which I have a blog (which I keep professional) and also a tab where I have most of my articles.

In lieu of sending editors my clips when applying, I have been directing them to my site.

My question is:

Should I whittle the articles on my site to a certain number and only my best ones?

And should I be sending the editors clips in addition to directing them to my site?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

2. BobSacamano

BobSacamano Member

Using your best ones is a no brainer. You wouldn't send an article you feel is average. On my site, I exclude articles I did specifically for the paycheck. Ultimately, if your name is attached and the article you're not proud of is on the internet, an intrigued employer could find it. But put your best foot forward in an environment you can control.

My site acts as a portfolio of clips first. It features the pieces I'm most proud of, with a blog as something absolutely secondary. Really, it's just a hub of my talents, including the special interest, short-form writing most digital media outlets are obsessed with.

But when applying for a job, I always follow the instruction of the posting. If they request clips via email, I pick my favorite three or four. The signature to my message provides a link to my site and I might encourage them to check it in the email. It also helps if you're incredibly handsome (like me) and have a head shot.

Best thing is to know the person receiving your message and the nature of the place where you're applying. If it's a busy paper, then send clips in the email so they don't feel labored with navigating your site. If it's a magazine, maybe they'll be more open to clicking around a bit -- especially if the site is pretty.

EDIT: Found your site, because I can be creepy that way, and one quick suggestion: add target="_blank" in the "href=" code for the links to your articles. You don't want people to click your links and navigate away from your site, because people close windows/tabs and forget. Using _blank forces a new window/tab to open.

3. mikecoppinger

mikecoppinger New Member

Thank you so much for the advice.

I will definitely change that so people don't navigate away from the site.

Would you recommend getting a head-shot done? I'm just using a personal photo.

But I see what you're saying, where an editor may be too busy and not check out the clips.

Also, I would like to make mine more a portfolio of clips first as well.

Is there anyway you could PM me your site?

4. I have what I think is a pretty decent portfolio site with writing, design and multimedia samples as well as links to my blog and Twitter and whatnot.

The only bit of advice I seem to keep getting is that I should trim the number of stories up. I have 4-6 each of gamers, previews, features/profiles and breaking news. But it's no surprise that's hard for me to do as I'm the kind of compulsive collector that downloads an entire band's discography even if I'm going to download a single song and spends years hunting through thrift stores for a vinyl copy of every last Chicago album.

5. fourcorners

fourcorners New Member

Figured I'd bump this instead of making a new thread.

When sending clips, I'd assume most of you scan your clips to send them. My question is this:

Does a clip have to be the printed and paper published story, or could I print off a copy of the story from the newspapers website and then scan it and make it in to a PDF and still have the piece considered an acceptable clip? I can PM if anyone would like more information regarding my question. Thanks!

Draft saved Draft deleted