1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How to ask for freelance compensation

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by irnsdn, Jul 27, 2010.

1. Dan Hickling

Dan Hickling Member

Who is this publishing fraud, anyway? Some of us on this board would like to pay him a "friendly" visit.

2. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Hey, you got a clip and you got some money for it.

I think everyone on here has made mistakes like you in some form. And that's how you improve. Learn from mistakes (although you really didn't make a huge mistake).

And you're exactly right, your writing is worth something. If they choose to publish, they feel it will improve their product, so you should feel entitled to compensation.

We get these cheap web sites advertising for free writers (or pay per click bullshit) on the jobs board sometimes. They routinely get locked or deleted.

3. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Oh, one more point to add:

Since he agreed to compensation, make sure he pays. Ask him when you might expect payment. If he doesn't pay by then, contact him and ask where it's at.

There are plenty of people on here that have been stiffed for work done.

Don't badger constantly. But a month timeframe is plenty enough for him to turn the paperwork in and cut the check.

4. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

Lesson learned: Get it in writing, THEN give him the rights to use it. If he doesn't meet your bar, adjust your price or move on. And if he's not interested in paying for freelance, and you're not interested in writing for free, then s'long, Cheepy McCheap!

5. TheMethod

TheMethod Member

Standard rate is about $1 per word.

6. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

Wow...writing for "the love of the team" that's crazy...at least you got something out of it, but I wouldn't be accepting any other assignments from this outfit, and I wouldn't be shy about communicating that intent.

7. irnsdn

irnsdn New Member

So another question that will sound stupid. How exactly do I send an invoice to the editor/magazine? I have a Paypal account, but I assume there's something more professional or well-known than that (and I'm not sure if they use Paypal, although that's probably another ignorant question).

Also, if anyone has sent an invoice to anyone in the UK, I'd especially appreciate advice on if it's different than it is here in the U.S. Thanks again, everyone.

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Invoice 1
    4/8/2010

Irnsdn
    10 Downing St
    London, SW1A 2AA

Invoice for football story for August edition of fan magazine -- £200

Total: £200

Ride it out... many places pay at the first of the month and pay in the middle, so if you invoiced him today, you probably wouldn't see it until mid September. If you don't get my then, call and ask.

9. irnsdn

irnsdn New Member

Thanks. And do I e-mail him this? Or mail it through the post office?

10. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I haven't read into the thread beyond this, so maybe someone said this, but you kind of can unpee in this situation -- provided you are willing to risk them telling you to bug off without them buying the story. If the kid has nothing in writing with the magazine in which he signed over publication rights, the story is still his. I don't know typical rates in England, especially for that kind of magazine, but he should call ASAP and say he wants to be clear about what they are going to be paying him, what rights they want for that pay and how long he should expect before payment. They might just throw a number at him he's happy with and this will be much ado about nothing. But he has room to negotiate if he wants to, with the stated reason being that they don't have a written contract giving them rights to publish the story. Many times, the contract is just a formality. Everything gets worked out verbally, pay is stated, the writer delivers, etc. But without him giving them anything in writing giving them rights, the kid actually has some leverage if they publish his work without paying him. Well, at least in the U.S., he would.

EDIT: I should have read through the whole thread first. SDon't get down on yourself. You got a clip and you got a bit of cash. Next time anyone tries to use that "love of the team," or "love of writing" BS, ask if he is editing for the love of the team, instead of a salary. If there is advertising in the magazine, ask if the publisher gives it away, and publishes a magazine at his own expense, "for the love of the team." Ask him why they sell the magazine for 3 pounds, rather than giving it to the fans for the love of the team. Etc. Etc.

11. irnsdn

irnsdn New Member

I e-mailed him and haven't heard from him for a while. He used to get back to me quickly, which is why I've noted this delay in e-mail response from a magazine editor. Should I be concerned and call sometime tomorrow morning (tomorrow a.m. EST = 5 hours ahead GMT), or should I wait it out? I leave for college on August 27, so is there any way I could receive the 25 pounds before then?

12. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

If you don't, you'll certainly gain 25 pounds after college starts.

Draft saved Draft deleted