1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How to ask for freelance compensation

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by irnsdn, Jul 27, 2010.

1. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Even now, he shouldn't ask for payment.

Send them an invoice with an amount that you think is fair.

Or send an email asking when you can expect payment for the article.

Obviously, not the most ideal way, but he can still expect to be paid for this.

2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Just remember what you write has value. It's just as much of a commodity as a car or a new TV or a fresh head of lettuce. If someone wants it for free, go find someone else. Even in this shaky industry there are thousands of outlets paying cash for good writing. Don't believe for a second that the only way you can get published is by giving your product away. Get paid.

3. BobSacamano

BobSacamano Member

In this climate, I understand the hesitation. There are so many 'writers' that someone young is afraid of being rejected for discussing money.

I got over that fairly quickly. It also helped that the editor of a paper where I was an intern advised me to inquire about kill fees and rates before putting in work on any ideas I pitched.

Normally, what I do is pitch the idea first. If they like it, I send a bit more detail on the story and how I intend to complete it with my desired compensation at the conclusion. You're not a staff writer, so this is a business arrangement, my friend.

I never received counteroffer at first because I was low-balling myself. Now, I'm pretty sure most editors are accustomed to negotiating a lower rate, so I start at a best-case scenario. Then again, I haven't sent an offer in a while since I'm pretty secure with the places where I am published. Whatever secure means.

For the most part, if they like your idea, then they'll work with you on pay. No need to be scurred.

As for your current dilemma, obviously we don't know the nature of your relationship with this editor, or how friendly the two of you are. Don't be afraid to burn the bridge. Be firm, but respectful.

But if you have another idea and a proposal prepared, maybe you can send that along with compensation details. You're not an intern for him, and even if you are young, you shouldn't be working for free.

Best of luck. And congratulations for not posting it on Bleacher Report first.

4. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

I don't know how it works across the pond, but over here you can revoke permission for them to use your stuff if they don't want to give you anything for it as long as you haven't specifically offered it at no charge. Some reasonable compensation is implied.

5. MightyMouse

MightyMouse Member

I know how NOT to ask for freelance compensation. A photog shot some stuff about a month ago and sent it to us unsolicited. He sent them to try to convince us to hire him full time.
    At the bottom of his e-mail, he typed the following:

If you do accept my application for employment, I do and will obtain ID's for shots..but today....I will ask you to do that .

Needless to say, he has not received any calls regarding his application.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Hard worker. I assume if you hired him, he's give you the IDs and soon as he got his check each week.

7. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

So what was the result of your asking for compensation? Did they give it to you?

8. irnsdn

irnsdn New Member

I should have updated this post. This morning I received the e-mail back from him. He's willing to give me 25 pounds because I've already written the article/done the interview, but he said next time I should realize that their freelancers write "for the love" of the team.

I've talked this over with a couple of people as well as posting this question here and basically what I've told myself is before I start another freelance story I'm going to pitch it and negotiate the compensation before-hand. If they're not willing to pay (I think someone on here said the following), then I should shop it somewhere else because my writing is worth something. If it's benefiting their magazine, newspaper, etc. and they're charging for the publication, then I should be obliged to at least a little compensation. I'm trying to change my timid attitude towards asking for compensation.

Thanks to everyone here who helped out with this - next time I'll be more patient with shopping it around. The interviewee had some real kick-ass quotes as well, so I think I could have contacted a bigger publication and had it published there for a set compensation. At my age, though, I'm still learning, but this wasn't smart of me.

I just typed quite a bit. Overall point: Thanks for helping, and I learn from these mistakes.

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Look at it this way: You've got a published clip... onward and upward!

10. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

When he replied with the "love of the game" line you should have asked if he accepts a paycheck or works for the magazine for the "love of the game."

He doesn't work for free. They don't give away ad space for free. They don't give away the publication for free. But they want writers to write for free, or for peanuts. That's bullshit.

You learned a big lesson, and best of luck next time around. As Slappy said, you have a published clip. Onward and upward.

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

At least he wasn't asking for moose piss...

12. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Hey, a bottle of that and some Urge might run about 25 pounds.

Draft saved Draft deleted