1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How thick was your Thanksgiving newspaper?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Football_Bat, Nov 27, 2008.

1. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Well, if you work at a place that does commercial printing. You make money off printing the insert, money off putting the insert in the paper and you have the added value of saying the Sunday coupons pay for the subscription.
    If you buy an ad for five grand, it will cost more than that if your shop charges for ad production, those ads don't design themselves.
    An insert in the full press run costs much more than a full-page ad. I've seen the rate care. Inserts are expensive, but still cheaper than direct mail.
    That's what keep some of those monthly niche business pubs going.
    The ones that hit high-income groups like lawyers and doctors.

2. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Nah. That's just not the case.
    I work at a decent sized-paper in an area of 10-or-so-million people. We're not commercial printers.
    Ask someone in advertising how much involvement they have with the inserts. Most of those inserts are done by marketing/printing agencies or the department store's in-house production staff. (Where they're printed can be varied).
    You think you have a guy at your paper designing coupons?

3. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Active Member

I was in our roll room today and saw palates of what looked like inserts, so I assume we just get them delivered and the mailroom people stuff them in the paper whenever they are supposed to run.

4. Cadet

Cadet Guest

I'd have no problem paying extra for the Thanksgiving paper to get the ads. Hell, I pay 5-to-10 times as much for a game program at sporting events, and those don't have coupons.

5. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Yes, fishwrapper, it's true, pre-printed inserts are usually charged a lower rate than display ads. But it's stinking revenue. You can't turn your nose up at it, considering the condition most in this industry are in.

Draft saved Draft deleted