1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How thick was your Thanksgiving newspaper?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Football_Bat, Nov 27, 2008.

1. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Our header was small; we only had a 6-page sports section. The rest of the newshole itself was smaller than the usual Thursday.

But there were a ton of slicks in it today. Dang near literally. The bag tore when I grabbed the end of it, that's how heavy it was. You name it, it was in there. Sears, JC Penney, Belk, Lowe's, Home Depot ... Hell, even Wal-Mart had an insert.

If my publisher still keeps poor-mouthing, I'm calling bullshit.

I'm wondering if anyone else out there had a big advertising haul in their paper today. We sure seemed to have. Or if anyone had the opposite: a toothpick for their turkey dinner.

2. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

I'm out of town for Thanksgiving, but I heard that our newshole was the same as most Thursdays -- which surprised me, because I thought you had to have a certain advertising balance to meet U.S. Postal standards for first-class mail. (Maybe they don't include the inserts in mailed-out copies, therefore that doesn't apply?)

3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

tab, 60 pages plus football pullout section for a 50th rivalry football game.

4. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

Holiday stuff: two gift-guide sections, and more ad inserts than you'd see on a normal Sunday. Otherwise, mostly a typical Thursday for the local 13k daily (usually a PM); two 12-page sections, four pages in sports. With absolutely no local games last night or today, there's a story each on the two regional pro teams, a column on the D-1 hoops team, and wire. NO Wednesday night results for NBA or NHL, so I'm guessing a very early deadline yesterday evening.

And speaking as a reader who also knows that the guys in the newsroom have families, plus a heavy schedule coming up this weekend, I'm perfectly all right with that last part. I'll read my friend's column and the local stuff, then go spend time with my own family.

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone.

5. CM Punk

CM Punk Guest

Seems it wasn't as big as it used to be, but the usual suspects were found when it comes to Black Friday inserts. We just had a smaller news hole. Deadline was 5 p.m., so our section was nothing but features, news and advances, nationally and locally. No Thanksgiving day games, as luckily the people here aren't so deranged to schedule them. Fuck it. We're taking it easy for two days.

6. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Active Member

Our paper size was normal, though significantly more ads. Sports just had 3 pages (we normally have 4 or 5 for Thursdays) and the inside pages were both about 50 percent ads. There were two bags on my porch today -- one with the paper and one for ads / gift guide.

7. Did anyone's paper charge Sunday price for today's paper? Ours did. I might be ignorant, but I've never seen that before.

8. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

All I know is that I'm strapped with another whopper of a section with hardly any local copy, not a lot of worthy AP copy, and no, I can only fill one page with the Macy's parade.

9. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

My shop cut the price in half. Dunno how it affected ad revenue.

We had a 24-page paper overall with three sports pages. Pretty standard for a Thursday.

10. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Our was bigger than every Sunday paper in July and August. I'm with football bat. Somebody's buying ads.

11. doctorx

doctorx Member

Our biggest paper in months. Small newshole, but just as well with 6 p.m. deadline.

12. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

You guys should ask your publisher to explain the difference between newspaper advertising and delivered inserts. Then, you will understand the why your paper is in financial trouble.

Draft saved Draft deleted