1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

'How the NFL fleeces taxpayers'

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Nov 13, 2013.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I forgot my Kindle today, which turned out to be fortuitous as I pulled out an old magazine from my bag to read instead. Outstanding piece here - apparently a book excerpt - by Gregg Easterbrook on how the NFL gets fat off the public teat:

http://m.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2013/10/how-the-nfl-fleeces-taxpayers/309448/

"Public handouts for modern professional football never end and are never repaid. In return the NFL creates nothing of social value - while setting bad example, despite its protests to the contrary, regarding concussions, painkiller misuse, weight gain, and cheating, among other issues."

At one point, the writer flays the league for its self-congratulatory support of the military, those donations representing an almost imperceptible fraction of the money the NFL raids public coffers for each year.

Cliff's Notes on this article: "Man, fuck the NFL."

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Re: 'How the NFL fleeces taxpayers,

Is there anything more stereotypically Dick than his pulling an old magazine from his bag, and it being the Atlantic? (The only possible exception would have been his pulling the New Yorker from his bag.)

Oh, and fuck the NFL.

3. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Easterbrook used to fleece my precious time with his long-winded TMQ articles back in the day.

4. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

On a related note, Chuck Todd is interviewing Reid Wilson right now about his article in yesterday's Post about corporate subsidies:

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Re: 'How the NFL fleeces taxpayers,

"Nothing of social value..."

I have a bit of a problem with that terminology. Who gets to determine what has social value? I know people who think American Hoggers or Here Comes Honey Boo Boo has social value.

6. Dick Whitman

Yes, that's why I bolded that passage. It would seem that entertainment is of social value. It would also seem that bringing people together has some social value. I think that he should have gone with "limited" or "questionable."

7. Dick Whitman

Yes, but Slate does not put out a print edition.

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Oh, I know those were his words, not yours, but what a fucking snobby way to put it.

Those NFL teams bring in a shitload of money to the cities where they are, and that's not limited to the smaller markets.

9. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

1) Whoever gives public money to the NFL is fleecing taxpayers. The NFL is just taking what most entities will (and many others do, as well, because of how corrupt our political system has become) gladly accept.

2) If the NFL creates nothing of social value, why exactly does it have more than $9 billion in revenues? An actual marketplace suggests that a whole lot of somebodies value what the NFL creates and are willing to pay a whole lot for it.

10. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

That's bullshit.

Argue the definition of "social value" if you like, but NFL teams are a complete non-starter as investments. They don't do anything.

11. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

I'm guessing there's no way to accurately gauge that, either way.

12. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

By what valuation metric? The average NFL franchise is worth more than $1.15 billion. The crappy Cleveland Browns sold for $1 billion last year. In 2000, the average NFL franchise was worth less than $400 million. As an investment, that seems like pretty good capital appreciation, doesn't it?

Draft saved Draft deleted