1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How the BCS can sheet a brick again....

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by ScribePharisee, Nov 10, 2008.

1. ScribePharisee

ScribePharisee New Member

Call it Mizzou's revenge..."Remember the Orange Bowl"

They got shafted to Kansas' advantage last year, let's let the Big 12 South chips fall where they may, and let Mizzou upset the South winner. The Tigers get the Fiesta, two of the three South leaders are out, and could it, would it, can it be Texas emerging as Nebraska 2002 did and play the SEC winner for the marbles?

Christ, let it happen. One more egg in the face of these fools.

2. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

Re: How the BCS can shit a brick again....

No profanity in thread titles.

3. ScribePharisee

There. I apologize.

I thought shit was a natural body function.

4. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Re: How the BCS can shit a brick again....

Actually, they got shafted to Illinois' advantage last year, 11-1 Kansas deserved to be there and then backed it up, beating the ACC champs who the computers ranked No. 1. Illinois, by comparison, was 9-3 and got the snot kicked out of it by USC in the Rose Bowl.

I understand the argument that because only two teams per conference can make the BCS, KU did rob Mizzou. But at least they had a BCS resume, Illinois didn't.

5. ScribePharisee

That's the argument. No other Big 12 team could get in and Missouri BEAT Kansas.

In a fair scenario, Kansas gets the third Big 12 invite with Missouri in and Illinois is out.

And that's why I think that in my scenario it's Tech, despite beating Texas, who gets screwed.

6. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

But if the whole purpose of the BCS -- as it's been stated time and time again by the powers that be -- is to have the top two teams in the country play each other, then why is there any trouble with KU over Mizzou? Because, as BCS proponents would point out, the system worked. It's 1 vs. 2.

7. ScribePharisee

Because there's a hell of a lot of money, Oz, in the other BCS bowls which for some reason are named as "BCS" bowls?

8. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

I would agree that KU deserved a shot at a BCS bowl a lot more than Illinois, but not more than Mizzou.

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

There are going to be two very pissed off Big 12 teams when the pairings are announced.

10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I read Mandel's SI.com Bowl Projections and he had one thing I agree with - pair the Big East-ACC "winners" in Miami since the Orange Bowl is getting the BCS game (Florida v. TTech?) a week later. I really hope they don't screw it up, but Mandel did have Ohio State getting an at-large bid. I really hope he's wrong. If Boise and Utah win out, I'd rather see them both get at-large bids, in addition to the SEC and Big 12 runners-up. Heck, put Utah and Boise in the Fiesta, USC v. Penn State Rose and Texas v. Alabama in the Sugar and I'm all over that line-up.

11. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

The Rose Bowl has to be pretty happy Penn St. lost, right? Now it gets its Big 10 Pac 10 game.

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

The building is pretty non-plussed, I've found...

Draft saved Draft deleted