1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How stupid does this @#$@#$@#$ think I am?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by beefncheddar, Dec 16, 2006.

1. Satchel Pooch

Satchel Pooch Member

Then.

Ebay as a precursor to doing the actual business on Paypal. I know I can use money orders and checks but I'm trying to help folks get things by Christmas.

2. Satchel Pooch

Satchel Pooch Member

I as intrigued so I went to that site with the p-p-p-Powerbook story. ABSOLUTELY HILARIOUS!

Sorry to all the old-old-schoolers out there, but stories like that definitely should have a home in newspapers. Highly entertaining.

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

THAN paypal. A cheaper way THAN paypal. Once you find it, THEN you can save money.
    Trust me on this one, my friend.

4. Satchel Pooch

Satchel Pooch Member

Sorry, Moddy. I gave the world horrible syntax on my lede:

"Not that I want to game the system or anything, but there has to be a cheaper way to sell a $200 item than through eBay, also taking into account the associated Paypal fees. This is what I'm currently up against."

We both know grammar. Does either one of us know how to sell something without getting schtooped on costs?

5. HeinekenMan

HeinekenMan Active Member

I've never had any serious problems with eBay. I ordered a tie-dye once that took a month to arrive. Yesterday, though, I noticed that I had two messages in my eBay account. When I checked them, I found that a user had been removed for undisclosed reasons. But it sounded scandalous. I got the note from eBay because I had placed bids on two of his items. I don't know whether I won, either. But it does seem that there was a Jim Bunning rookie card that I had hoped to win.

But I completely trust eBay. I've spent hundreds on items, and I'm almost always dealt a great bargain.

6. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

See Moddy, I'm not the only one that can't use then/than properly. :D

7. Moderator1

Just one of my bad peeves. Doesn't make me - or you - a bad person.
    Can't help you on the other thing. Any service, online or not, that helps you sell something is going to take a cut. That's how THEY stay in business.

Those coin counter machines in the grocery stories take NINE percent!

8. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Yet, Satchel Pooch was right. He was using a timeline, therefore then.

He uses eBay, then Paypal.

He's looking for something cheaper THAN the system he has, which is eBay, THEN Paypal.

9. Moderator1

Good catch, you must be a good copy editor. Never saw the comma. My bad all the way around.
    Good to know we were both right.
    Still can't help him solve this problem.

10. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

No, I'm an excellent copy editor. (not really, but my boss reads this board)

And yeah, I'm pretty sure he has to pay exorbitant fees. Them's the breaks.

11. markvid

markvid Guest

I had one Ebay incident recently.
    I had checked on the price and placed a bid for a Nokia phone, as my Motorola RAZR's battery has the stamina of a bulimic supermodel.
    On a Friday, I get an email stating I had won the phone, and payment was expected immediately.
    I never use Paypal, don't like it, don't ever want to reopen my account with them. I stated that to said seller, she said Paypal or nothing. I said fine, deal's off. She sends back, she'll sue, it's a binding deal, etc. Fine, sue me over a $90 phone. Have fun. I do a little digging about her account - she says the store she works at is near Houston, yet her zip code is on the Penn State campus. I run the name in the PSU directory, nothing (big shock). I email her all that I found, and suddenly, her threats for payment stop. 2 days later, she's off Ebay completely.

12. Satchel Pooch

Satchel Pooch Member

That's classic, Mark. It seems like there's so much shadiness on there.

Draft saved Draft deleted