1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

'How Sports Illustrated Botched the Michael Sam Story'

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Feb 25, 2014.

1. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Don't you think at least part of that improvement is due to the media's truthful depiction of homosexuals as normal people?

I doubt you'd find many mainstream news outlets years ago that took a stance on its moral acceptability either way.

That aside, no homosexual person ever took a vow to stay hetero and then broke it.

That's what adulterers do, though. Some while even lecturing others on the sanctity of the pact they just broke. That's another difference.

2. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

The coming out IS the story. The gayness IS NOT the story. Therefore, a coming out story is not a major story until the coming out. The anticipation of an imminent coming out of a viable NFL prospect is a niche story in the gay community, so if you're a journalist serving that market (and you weren't in on the rollout like outsports.com) then you could have written something like

and so on and so forth.

But that story is niche. It is too attenuated for the general public. The big story is in the announcement itself.

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

The media's protection of someone's sexual orientation reminds me somewhat of its general policy against identifying rape victims. In both cases, I completely get it. In both cases, at the same time, the policy serves to reinforce the stigmas associated with both IDs.

4. Dick Whitman

I don't think the anticipation was a niche story. I think Sports Illustrated could have written that story, that way, as well. My guess is that the only reason they did not was due to concerns he might change his mind. Though that never seems to matter to anyone when it comes to coaching hires.

5. Point of Order

And you don't see why that concern is what makes it not be a mass appeal sports story?

6. Dick Whitman

I don't see why that concern would not exist in the niche market, as well.

Or, again, when a coaching hire is imminent but not finalized. Or a free agent signing.

7. Point of Order

In a gay niche media environment, even the serious planning and preparation of an NFL draft prospect with a somewhat high profile would be of deep interest, even if he eventually changes his mind and backs out, whereas the more typical sports fan would not care about that. I think most people here get that.

8. Dick Whitman

I completely disagree. When Brendan Ayanbadayjo, for example, said that there had been a planned or still-planned mass coming-out by gay NFL players, it received a lot of mainstream attention that typical sports fans cared about.

Draft saved Draft deleted