1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

'How Sports Illustrated Botched the Michael Sam Story'

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Feb 25, 2014.

1. JC

JC Well-Known Member

What is the "public interest" in this?

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Michael Sam was making a business decision to announce his homosexuality to ESPN and the New York Times. He hired a public relations firm to come up with and execute the strategy.

And I would support a business decision, in return, to short-circuit my competitors' role.

3. Dick Whitman

Michael Sam is gay.

The public finds this interesting.

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Yeah.

Dick, in this case it sounds like your argument is that SI should have gotten this news out an hour earlier on a Sunday night than the Times and ESPN did.

To what purpose?

5. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Exactly. The public keeps saying it's no big deal, and the media types keep blowing it up.

Naughty bits!

6. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

The public finds Kate Upton's tits interesting.

Would you publish photos of them against her wishes?

7. Dick Whitman

Yeah. The public totally turned away from this story when it broke. No desire to hear anything about it. OK then.

8. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

How you can say this, yet dispute my contention that you'd be acting solely out of self interest, is beyond me.

9. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

You're not helping your point here, man.

10. Dick Whitman

I'm not disputing your contention.

I'm disputing that there's anything wrong with it.

We break news. That's what we do. Now, that doesn't mean it's always appropriate to break news. It's a balancing act. I don't break Michael Sam's homosexuality in October. I don't break it in January. I break it shortly before the NYT and ESPN do, though. Self-interest? I suppose. I'd call it doing my job.

Also, this is a really fine distinction, but what you're actually breaking is the fact that he'll be announcing his homosexuality. So the headline wouldn't be, "Sam is gay." It would be, "Sam to announce that he's gay."

11. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Hey, some lawyers chase ambulances, too.

Whatever it takes, right?

12. Dick Whitman

Not this one.

Regardless, I'm never really sure of your point when you go down this road. That I apparently think that the legal profession is perfect? I don't. It has lots of systemic problems, like any profession. Nothing that is not some great zinger you can spring on me.

Draft saved Draft deleted