1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How smart is your blog?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Idaho, Dec 20, 2007.

1. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

I made it to elementary school!

2. You guys realize that you are totally misunderstanding the point of that tool (or maybe you are all just being sarcastic). It is not a measure about how "smart" a site is, it is a measure of the readability of the site. In the Army, they refer to this as the clarity index.:

The clarity index

Some writing problems do not lend themselves to a quick-screen edit. A second tool, the clarity index, pinpoints two other major reasons why writing that arrives on the desk is often confusing and difficult to read.

a. Long words and long sentences make writing difficult to read. Such writing does not meet the new standards of Army writing. The clarity index provides a yardstick to measure how readable writing is. If you suspect that writing is not effective, this yardstick is helpful to quantify the problem.

b. The clarity index is based on word and sentence length. Select­ing a sample of 200 words or less, use the formula below.

1. Count the number of sentences.
    2. Count the number of words.
    3. Divide the number of words by the number of sentences to get the average sentence length. (The target average is 15 words per sentence.)
    4. Count the number of words that have three syllables or more.
    5. Divide the number of long words by the total of words to determine the percentage of long words. (The target is 15 percent.)
    6. Add the average sentence length to the percentage of long words.
    7. The sum is the clarity index. (The target is 30.)

c. If a writer eliminates long words and long sentences without changing meaning, writing becomes clearer. The writer is not pro­ducing simplistic papers or insulting the reader’s intelligence. In­stead, time-savings and understanding increase.

d. Use the clarity index once to quantify the density of a piece of writing for subordinates. Then have them periodically monitor their own writing.

e. Use the following Rules of thumb for the clarity index:

1. Below 20, writing is too abrupt.
    2. Over 40, writing is difficult to understand.
    3. Aim for an index of 30.

3. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

I'm sorry, could you summarize that?

4. Flash

Flash Guest

Blogs should be taken seriously.

5. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

I have a blog but I guarantee I don't take it too seriously. Hell, 75 percent of the entries are about Little Man. If someone's not interested, there's always www.lovedollworld.com (definitely NSFW)that probably offers more enticing content.

However, I was proud of my first entry in the Encyclopedia Brown Project.

6. StormSurge

StormSurge Active Member

Same here Alley. All my blog consists of is pictures of my daughter, some stupid top-20 lists & other random crap. Including family & friends, I think three people read it occasionally. And I like it that way. ;D

7. Flash

Flash Guest

LOL ... how about an NSFW tag on that, fucker?

8. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Sorry about that dear Flash. My bad. It's been fixed.
    Fucker. :D

9. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

My blog just finished it's master's degree. I want to be proud, but the degree's in mass communication, so I'm kind of torn.

10. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

Look on the bright side, buck. Your blog is now qualified to work retail.

11. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I'm concerned, because I think my blog wants to pursue it's doctorate just because it hasn't figured out what it wants to do.

12. Flash

Flash Guest

Fuck you, you fuckin' fucker. :D

Draft saved Draft deleted