1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How quickly they forget...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Mighty_Wingman, Dec 6, 2006.

1. Hero ain't nothin' but a sandwich anyway.

2. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

There is a high school football team in West Texas that wears "HERO" on the back of their jerseys in big letters. Makes me retch every time I see a photo.

3. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

That sure is puke-worthy. :-X
    Hero, my pale Hibernian ass. Which town?

4. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

We don't need another hero.

5. daemon

daemon Well-Known Member

Language is a beautiful thing.

That said. . .

Should I never watch Last Action Hero? Never eat a Hero? Never work for the Health Enhancement Research Organization?

Give me a break.

It's all about context. If I say "Peyton Manning was the late-game hero for the Colts," you know from the context of it that I am not proclaiming Peyton Manning to be Robert Gould Shaw.

But if I say, "With the way Peyton Manning has led the Colts the past decade, he truly eptiomizes the word 'Hero.'" Then you've got a beef.

There's a thin line, but there has always been.

6. People who care about this are way too damn sensitive. I have no problems with athletes and writers using "war" or "hero" or other works like that to describe sporting events.

Like daemon said, CONTEXT.

Auto racers, competitive eaters and poker players using the term "sport" to describe their activity is a much, much, much offensive way of using a word than (real) athletes using the terms "hero" and "war."

7. I'll never tell

I'll never tell Active Member

back to the first point, when was the last time you called someone in the army a "Warrior"

and what am I supposed to call this guy?

[​IMG]

8. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Holliday.

[​IMG]

9. A homophobe?

10. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Fixed.

11. Crimson Tide

Crimson Tide Member

Where I'm at, trying to wax poetically isn't an issue. Here, high school sports is a bunch of mediocre white kids that can't play worth shit. Most games I have to watch aren't worth a phone call much less a piece of award-winning literature.

12. moonlight

moonlight Member

In a story about a girls basketball game the other day, we had the hed:

"Jones drops bombs on Central"

I'd say that's over the line.

Draft saved Draft deleted