1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How Our Current Immigration System Impedes Black Progress

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Jul 23, 2015.

1. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

2. Doom and gloom

Doom and gloom Active Member

$17 an hour McDonalds job will result in the loss of two $9 an hour jobs and installations of self-order stalls. I bet you people use self-checkouts at your neighborhood grocery stores, realizing that in doing so you justify the need to cut people with $9-$10 an hour jobs. If I'm stupid or in need of meds, I'll take that compared to your operational capacities.

3. Doom and gloom

And no, genius, McDonalds won't close. They'll do what I, and others via other news links, have suggested they'll do.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Limit excessive executive compensation? Bravo!
    Good for you, D&G.

Way to put that bug in their ear.

5. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

We don't use self serve checkouts at the grocery stores because we want to, we use them because the cocksucking corporate motherfuckers who own the grocery stores force us to. They didn't give us any price cuts when they laid off the checkout clerks either. They put that money in their pockets and told us to go stand in line and check ourselves out.

6. Doom and gloom

Not against that in the least, but it'll never happen. We are too intertwined with the global market to do it. But it's apples to oranges in terms of a place like McDonalds. Cut a few million and spread those out all over the company won't come close to $17 an hour. Meanwhile, they'll protect their profit margin.

7. Doom and gloom

Where I shop, I still have the option of choosing a human being. And I do. I don't give a shit if there's 20 people ahead of me in line.

8. JohnHammond

I liked it back in the day when I had to visit the produce store, the dry goods store, the bakery, and the butcher shop to get all of my groceries.

9. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

The American public has to pick its poison on this. Cherry dismisses the notion that the immigrants accept menial work that the vast majority of Americans won't take. Fine, then cut off the supply of immigrant labor, legal or otherwise. Just be ready for the cost of living to increase nationwide. Apparently we're not. The issues that go along with how we handle immigrants have persisted because Americans have not been willing to pay the price to make them go away, particularly in the area of food. Among industrialized nations, U.S. citizens on average spend a lower percentage of their income on food (it's hovered around 11 percent for the past few years) than just about everybody else. Are we as a nation willing to double that to solve whatever problems come with how we handle immigration? I'm not seeing that inclination at all.

10. JohnHammond

11. ThomsonONE

ThomsonONE Member

Complete and utter BS.

Pick the date you want to go back to before there existed a flood of illiterate illegals in the US, 40 years, 50, 60?

Was food available? Did lawns get cut? Were there restaurants with clean dishes? All the jobs that the left says Americans refuse to do were previously done by Americans or LEGAL immigrants. By flooding the market with an endless supply of extremely cheap labor, wages for the legal immigrants and US citizens are held down. Anyone that is truly concerned about the economic well being of the least educated would want illegal immigration stopped. Those that think it is fine are the ones that are hurting the working poor.

12. JohnHammond

Pick a time when there wasn't a supply of cheap illegal/undocumented immigrants.

Draft saved Draft deleted