1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How Orlando dealt with Donovan saga

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Lucas Wiseman, Jun 19, 2007.

1. Lucas Wiseman

Lucas Wiseman Well-Known Member

Bill Speros, deputy sports editor at the Orlando Sentinel, details how his paper handled the Billy Donovan situation recently.

Speros writes: “The Billy Donovan story drove Orlando Sentinel print and orlandosentinel.com on-line readership to levels and pushed our staff to relentlessly advance this story on a 24-hour news cycle. Donovan signed to coach the Magic only to change his mind and back out of the deal a few days later, leaving the Magic stunned and sending aftershocks up and down the Sunshine State.”

http://apse.dallasnews.com/2007/june2007/061907speros.html

2. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Did they measure those on the Richter scale?

3. donaugust

donaugust Member

Is there room for more measuring on Andy Richter's scale??

4. spnited

spnited Active Member

Don't you just love "aren't we great" pieces like that!

Self-serving bullshit.

5. JoelHammond

JoelHammond Member

spnited's (valid) opinion aside, I really liked two things:

The illustration with the mascot shrugging his shoulders and the faux-wedding invitation was exceedingly well done.

And the final-day stuff, with StanVan on the front and Donovan on the back, was simple but well-done, as well.

6. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I dunno, spnited...it is the APSE newsletter, after all. There may be some light bruising from the chest-thumping ("The serendipity of having that pre-planned columnist package and art allowed us to offer our readers a much more comprehensive look at the situation on our front"), but it was kind of interesting to see the inner workings of the sausage factory, so to speak.

7. HeinekenMan

HeinekenMan Active Member

I appreciate Bill's insight. I had asked another editor about this very topic. It seems like a great learning experience. Everyone who was involved learned something valuable. It's these pressure-cooker situations that build the best reporters, editors and deskers.

I live on the edge of the paper's coverage area. I was one of the few who received the early edition of that night's paper. As one guy at the Sentinel said, I was among the few who for whom the Sentinel looked stupid.

How many out there work a paper that never would have tackled this problem that late in the evening?

8. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

Easy on Andy Richter. Nice little obesity drive-by the sake of a quick play on words. I doubt he weighs that much more than Mike Richter, who would be just as random. Nobody shines on doomed-from-the-start sitcoms the way Andy Richter does.

9. BigDog

BigDog Active Member

Nifty little read, except Ira Winderman in the Fort Lauderdale Sun-Sentinel broke Stan's hiring on his blog a good half-hour before anyone else had it.

Edit: I'm told that since the Sentinel and Sun-Sentinel are sister papers, this shouldn't matter. I disagree, but whatever.

10. chazp

chazp Active Member

The "Wedding Crashed," page is one of the funniest use of graphics I've seen in a long time!

Draft saved Draft deleted