1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How Oprah ruined the marathon

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Smallpotatoes, Nov 5, 2007.

1. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

I know it was you dumb fuck. And when you "prorated" those numbers, you said "OH LOOK HE'S REVOLUTIONIZING THE GAME" when in fact I never said he was(I made whole thread about that).
    But yet again, you run away from the truth. You said the season was over with him as their number 1 running back.
    Record with him as number 2: 0-3
    Record with him as number 1: 4-1

Lets say this slowly because I know you're brain can't handle all these words(which is why I'm trying to make my posts short and simple) :
    Yooooooooooooooooooooooooou weeeeeeeeeeeeeeereee wrooooong
    IIIIIIIIIIIII waaaaaaaas riiiiiiiiight

P.S. If you didn't get that, have a 3rd grader explain it to you.

2. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Do you promise we can see Katie Holmes on the biz end of that cattle prod?

3. Bill Brasky

Bill Brasky Active Member

I want to see that asshole she "married" at the end of a cattle prod. Swear to God, I ever see Tom Cruise, I'm gonna jump on top of him and start punching him, just like Edward Norton did to Jared Leto in "Fight Club".

4. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

And he might jump on top of you and start slapping you, just like Jim Everett did to Jim Rome on "Talk2."

5. Bill Brasky

Bill Brasky Active Member

Pfft, he's what 5'5", 5'6"? I'm a head taller than him...plus, I'm a dirtbag from central Louisiana....he's a Hollywood nutcase.

6. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

Sounds like a fair fight.

7. Ashy Larry

Ashy Larry Active Member

There's no money in being an elite marathoner.........thats why Americans don't compete.

8. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Actually, there is.

Gebrselassie's appearance fee is said to be $375,000. If he wins and sets the world record, his prize bonuses could bring his earnings from the race to more than $500,000.

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9C01E2DA153CF930A25757C0A9649C8B63&n=Top/Reference/Times%20Topics/People/G/Gebrselassie,%20Haile

9. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

When you combine what jgmacg points out above with the shoe contracts, there clearly is a lot of money in being an elite marathoner. Certainly a hell of a lot more than many professional non-sports jobs.

10. Danny Noonan

Danny Noonan Member

One has nothing to with the other. As a person who does ultra-distance events myself, the author sounds like a sour old goat with a telephone pole stuck up his ass bemoaning the loss of the good old days when the sport was an exclusive little frat. Everyone fast or slow loves Bingham, the "penguin" in the running community, so to attack him is utterly ridiculous as well.

So, let's deflate the argument for once and for all. Explain to me how Paula Radcliffe, a Brit, holds the world record for women marathoners -- won the NYC on Sunday -- and the marathon has exploded in popularity across the pond as well. The London Marathon has grown from 6,255 in 1981 (when all of these slow runners were not clogging Mr. Elite's pathway) to 46,500 today. Somehow, the British have the best in the world despite all those damn slow people in Paula's way.

I rest my case.

11. Ashy Larry

Ashy Larry Active Member

yeah....if you win. When you consider the amount of training needed to be an elite marathoner.....there's not much time to hold down a job.

Draft saved Draft deleted