1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How old were you when you got married?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by John B. Foster, Dec 29, 2018.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Thanks for asking. Fiona will be three in March, and is thriving.

She passed a swallow study in early September, which meant she was no longer aspirating when she drank water. So, she can take all of her liquids by mouth now, and we haven't had to use her feeding tube at all for several months now. A couple more months and we can remove it. She's also off of all oh her heartburn medication.

She's smart and funny. She loves to read books, do puzzles, play the matching/memory game, and play with her stuffed animals and dolls.

As for your friend, it's tough. Fiona was in the hospital for the first 10 weeks of her life, and for a couple of other shorter stays that first year. It's exhausting. But, we always knew there was a light at the end of the tunnel. She was never in any danger, and was basically the healthiest kid in the NICU. We were mostly waiting for her to grow, and they were trying to manually stretch her esophagus (they would literally stick a tube down her throat a couple of times a day to try and stretch it out), before they attempted the surgery she needed.

I can't imagine doing 8 months, or not having a happy ending to look forward too.

We befriended a couple of families during our time there. One has a daughter who was in the hospital for over a year after her birth. Was there so long she graduated form NICU to the PICU. (neonatal intensive care unit to pediatric intensive care unit.) That's not a graduation you want to celebrate.

Her daughter is home now, but still has -- and will always -- a number of major health issues. I honestly don't know how she does it. You have to be string for your child, and as a husband, you want to be strong for your wife, but I don't know how it wouldn't break me.

2. YankeeFan

Bonus points to anyone who can recognize the setting. I'm betting a lot of you have been there, if not to this particular setting within the larger venue.

3. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

Mandalay Bay Hotel.

YankeeFan likes this.
  4. YankeeFan

You got it.

My use of "betting" was a subtle clue.

5. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

I was 25. She was 19.
    Celebrate 20 years next May.

John B. Foster likes this.
  6. McNuggetsMan

McNuggetsMan Active Member

Both of us were 27 still going strong 11.5 years later. First kid at 30, second at 32, third at 37. There won't be a fourth.

John B. Foster and Moderator1 like this.
  7. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

We had our first and only. 18 year old freshman in college. Son of a bitch it goes fast.

8. We were both 26 and celebrate 20 years next week. Lived together for nearly seven years prior, so about 27 years living together. First kid at 28, second at 32 and third at 39.

Probably wouldn't do it that way if I could do it over -- wouldn't advise my own kids to cohabit, especially for that long -- but it's worked out. First two kids came along at about the right time. Definitely feel like the geezer dad with the final one, but he's a neat little guy.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
  9. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

I really hope to be able to answer this question at some point.

10. jackfinarelli

jackfinarelli Well-Known Member

I was 22; she was 20.

That was 52.5 years ago.

Two kids ages 45 and 42.

11. John B. Foster

John B. Foster Well-Known Member

Wow! Amazing.

12. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Salute.

Draft saved Draft deleted