1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How old is your spouse compared to you?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Dick Whitman, Nov 7, 2015.

1. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Mrs. Coco is exactly one month older than me, so age gap is a nonissue for us.

And I agree with Chris Long, too — the "age gap" is less important as you get older. Unfortunately, what comes into play then is the "health gap," as I've seen with several older colleagues and neighbors.

2. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Mrs. Novelist is 2 1/2 years younger than me.

A couple of you have met us, and you know that the reason our marriage has lasted 26 years is because she is exceedingly gracious.

cranberry likes this.
  3. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Just short of three years. It lasted five years. Age is just a number.

4. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Keep in mind, just because you're not divorced yet doesn't mean you won't be.

5. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Avergae duration to divorce = 8 years

6. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Yes!

We were (still are, I guess) 3 years and four months apart. We had 30 good years, a couple of shaky years and poof it was gone. Age had nothing to do with it and I can't believe there's any magic number. I've seen a lot of shitty marriages and a lot of great marriages and never thought age was a factor in either direction.

My current plan does not factor in a Queen2. It's a cesspool out there and I have no interest in swimming in the muck. However, if a bug does crawl up my ass again, age isn't something I'll consider a factor.

novelist_wannabe, Vombatus and HC like this.
  7. Corky Ramirez up on 94th St.

Corky Ramirez up on 94th St. Well-Known Member

I am 12 years older than the Mrs. (39/27). I just say that I had to wait longer to find the perfect match, and so far, so very good.

I think that story is horseshit, anyway. Maybe if we were all had the same personalities, the age difference would be true.

8. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

Current babe of a wife is eight years younger. Married 3 1/2 years and still in love.

First wife was five years younger. Married 22 1/2 years and fought like cats and dogs the whole time.

9. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I'm four months and (I guess) three days older than my ex, who was born in a leap year. I'd say marrying young set us up for trouble more than any slight age gap, although we stuck it out well over a decade.

10. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

God bless.

11. My wife is two years younger than me.

However, both of our parents dads' married younger women.
    My dad was six years older than my mom when they married. She was 19.
    Her dad is nine years older than her mom, who also married at 19. ... Though my wife's mother, who is pushing 65, looks like she's 50. Mt father-in-law, meanwhile looks like an old catcher's mitt. He's been mistaken for her father!
    My wife likes to point out how good her mom looks as she ages and what I have to look forward to.
    Meh. I'm still thinking of trading her in for a newer model. ;) ... But then I'd get the kids.

My mother-in-law's mother was 14 when she got married. Pregnant at 15. Her husband was a good decade older.

12. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

My fiancee is five years older. I'm 31 and she's 36. I tried dating women younger than me, but I realized I couldn't go through being with someone without any life experience at this point in my life. It wasn't fulfilling to me. I'd tell them about my weight loss and they'd instantly recoil or start acting like I was a test subject to ask all sorts of clinical questions. I needed someone who has experienced some disappointment, experienced some success and hasn't spent 80 percent of her life to that point looking at an IPhone screen.

Draft saved Draft deleted