1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How old is too old to rock?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Dick Whitman, Dec 5, 2010.

1. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

You never want to be the oldest person at the bar or at the party.

I think a 20-something should chime in on these guys still "rocking."

2. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

I saw Fleetwood Mac and Aerosmith over the past year or two.

If Aerosmith sounded better when they were younger, that must have been one hell of a show. I have no complaints -- except for the location of my seats. Amazing show.

Fleetwood Mac would have been great too if Stevie Nicks wouldn't have sung in anything but a monotone. She still has a great voice she just chooses not to use it. They're kind of pretentious too.

3. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

I've always thought the members of Fleetwood Mac were pretentious. And I'm a fan

4. holy bull

holy bull Active Member

I'd put Chrissie Hynde in the category of great rockers who are still relevant and cranking out great stuff. I love "Break up the Concrete," and am amazed how different it is from the Pretenders' first album. I guess that's called evolution, and evidence that age doesn't change writing ability.

As I said on another thread, I give credit to Steven Tyler for his enthusiastic "Star Spangled Banner" at the Boston Bruins' home opener. Not a two-hour rock show, of course, but what a trouper. He was totally into it.

5. 93Devil

Bullshit.

If all these groups were putting out great music, we would all know it because it would be on the damn radio. Nothing wrong with some people liking it, but nothing these bands are doing now can compare with what the released in their first 10-15 years as a band.

None of these bands have had a hit song for two decades.

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

Umm, you're not counting Aerosmith in there, are you? Jaded was top 10 in 2001 or 2002. Unfortuantely so, but still, it counts.

And I saw the Fleetwood Mac Behind The Music last night, and Jim Forbes--who never exaggerates anythng for effect--said their most recent album had a couple singles off it. Not sure where they peaked, but there you go.

7. holy bull

holy bull Active Member

I'd be hesitant to use radio play as the only gauge of what's "great." There's a lot that goes behind the playlists they use.

8. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

The Stones have been the shits for at least the last 20 years.

They go on tour and people go to see them because they're the Stones and this might be the last tour.

9. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Bullshit right back. Who the fuck listens to the radio anymore? For what? Lady Bullshit Gaga and Katy "LOOK AT MY TITS" PerrY?

10. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

I'm a 20something (for a little while longer, at least.)

The Stones put on an AMAZING show when I saw them on the Bridges to Babylon tour about a decade ago. One of the great concerts of my life. And I've had a freaking fantastic time at all the Bruce, Aerosmith and Paul McCartney concerts I've been to in the last decade. Seriously -- not a single disappointment in the bunch.

Maybe I've just been lucky, I don't know. But my parents saw the Stones in the '70s and '80s and said they couldn't hear a damn thing, and the whole thing was kind of a mess. Good fun and debauchery, I'm sure, but not a particularly memorable concert, per se.

So I say: Keep playing.

11. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

This is a terrible gauge of quality, particularly in 2010. Rock music just isn't a genre that gets any Top 40 radio play any more.

12. 93Devil

If any of these bands promoted their tours by saying they are playing nothing but new tunes, they would not be able to give the tickets away.

People go to see these guys for the songs they wrote 40 years ago.

Dick, so Weezer, Foo Fighters, Kings of Leon and Green Day don't get any radio plays?

Draft saved Draft deleted