1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How old is too old for canned goods?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Batman, Jul 18, 2012.

1. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

Damn, I used to live on chef boyardee, haven't had it in about six years now though. Just can't stomach it any more. But would eat it without reheating it, and roll from there. Really, I think unless the can was dented or bulging, you should be OK. I think. Maybe get a little food poisoning, but I think you can count out botulism.

2. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Good. I was afraid you might be live-blogging.

3. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

"Rotating the stock" is your friend.

4. Yeah canned goods will be fine years - years! - after their "best buy" date.

5. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

When I was a kid, I had some friends whose father worked at Campbell's. This was in the 80s.
    They used to get these little, frozen cheesesteak squares. You couldn't get them in the supermarket. Campbell's only distrusted them is vending machines in workplace lunch rooms.
    These things were the best. We used to practically beg our friends for them.

So, you got any of those?

6. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, no.

The plant my dad worked at largely produced all of Campbell's products involving tomatoes.

7. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I seem to be a little typing-challenged lately.

8. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Update: I passed the 12 hour window without incident. A little gas last night, nothing out of the ordinary.
    So, the question has been answered.
    Four-year-old canned goods -- assuming structural integrity is intact -- are not tasty, but will not kill you. Keep that in the back of your mind in case of apocalypse.

9. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Are you talking about Steak-Ums?

OMG! Those were my childhood Saturday afternoons in a nutshell. My mom would fry up those frozen steak patties, put them on a bun with a slice of Kraft cheese and wrap them in aluminum foil and pop them in the oven to melt up.

10. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I ate plenty of Steak-Ums growing up.
    These were different.

11. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Not the same thing, but Wal-Mart sells these Sam's Club brand philly steaks that are pretty good. They come out of the package looking like actual steaks, and you break them up as they thaw and cook in the skillet. Was it similar looking to these:

[​IMG]

12. HC

HC Well-Known Member

When I saw this thread title, my first thought was "What a stupid question. You're never too old for canned goods". :D

Draft saved Draft deleted