1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How old are your presses and front-end systems and what OS are you using?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Colton, Oct 2, 2009.

1. Colton

Colton Active Member

Presses at my (CNHI) shop turned 40 this year.

Our front-end system turned 10, running NewsEditPro and Quark 4.1 on G3s for pagination, IMACs for writing. :-\

(Our presses are the more efficient of the two).
  2. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Brand New. MAC 0S10. But don't worry I'm sure that we will all be laid off because of it.
  3. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

OS X 10.4. Quark 7.5. Press is a couple of years old. I know it's computer-to-plate, but I've never been to the plant as it is at a different site.
  4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

PC. Photoshop CS3 Extended, Version 10.0 (which is nice). And our company is the only one in America that uses a pagination platform that sucks ... sucks so hard.
  5. FreddiePatek

FreddiePatek Active Member

Mac OS 9.2.2. (wish I was joking). Quark 4.1. Photoshop 5.5. System is 15 years old. No archival capacity. Great place.

That said, we're getting a new DTI system next year. Plus, the press and mailroom is in line for a serious overhaul (pre-press and press were already well ahead of the game).
  6. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Presses? Pagination? Pages?
  7. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Our building was built in 1968 so I assume the press is just as old. At least we skip the negative and go straight to plate.

Our computers use Mac OS X version 10.4.11, but the one I'm pounding on is almost 4 years old and the letters are wearing off the keys.

We use NewsEdit 3.5.8 and InDesign 3.0.1.
  8. checkswinger

checkswinger Member

We got our press on loan from Gutenberg.
  9. chase.colston

chase.colston Member

Our press turned 33 this year. It's had some upgrades, and could be worse, but could be much better.

Front end system is Falcon APT Editorial, about three years old, although not much different than the system we were on before. Quark 6. Running XP Pro on enormous POS Gateways that are about three years old.

We've been told three or four times we're switching to InDesign (still have Adobe Suite CS2), but of course, never happened.
  10. Clerk Typist

Clerk Typist Guest

CS2 has InDesign 2, does it not? (Though they're up to InDesign 4 now, and 5 is supposed to be imminent.)
  11. Gene Parmesan

Gene Parmesan Member

The press is like two or three years old. Really new.

Front-end system is DT and it's old. Running InDesign 2.02. Really, really old.
  12. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

We have presses on site but stopped using them Jan. 1 and shipped the process out to Exton, which has a state-of-the-art press.
Draft saved Draft deleted