1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How old are you?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Ilmago, Sep 28, 2010.

1. shockey

shockey Active Member

belated happy birthday, man. glad to learn 40 didn't seem to freak you out. it was a total bummer for me...

2. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Weird how we all react differently. I loved 40 and 50 is even better. And happy belated Elliotte.

3. wannabeu

wannabeu Member

4. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

In a few months, I'll be Larry Bird.

5. Bad Guy Zero

Bad Guy Zero Active Member

6. shockey

shockey Active Member

my theory: most of us have one birthday age that freaks us out. for many it's 30. mine was 40, i think, because i had such vivid memories of my dad at 40 (i was 12), and he was such an old guy, in my eyes, and feared my three boys saw me the same way.

i got over it by rationalizing that my dad's generation was, in general, a much older generation, while 40 is the new 30. ours is a much more emotionally immature group, in many good way.

plus my boys are great at sucking up by frequently telling me i'm the coolest dad they know...

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Almost 37.

8. Double J

Double J Active Member

I'm 40 2/3, plus 10 days. :)

Turning 40 really didn't bother me too much. Eight siblings got there before I did with few problems, if any (five of them have since reached 50, with another one set to do so in a month) so I didn't figure it was a big deal.

9. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

34. For whatever reason, 30 did nothing to me in terms of freaking me out. 35 is going to freak me out though. Because now I'm on the road to 40 ...

As the Hold Steady wrote "oh, to be 33 forever ..." It's actually a pretty good age. Still young enough to feel young. Old enough to feel experienced.

10. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Birthdays freaked me out when I was in my 20s. With a wife and kids, they don't bother me at all.

12. 38. My 35th birthday was really rough. I don't remember 30 being bad. Trying not to think about 40!

I think Shockey's got it right. There's something to remembering your parents in their mid-late 30s (in my case anyway) and thinking they were so old. Definitely 40 is the new 30, and as my brother says, it's when you stop having birthdays that you've got a problem!

Draft saved Draft deleted