1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How old are the computers in your office?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Rusty Shackleford, Apr 13, 2007.

1. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

The computers are about a year old. Parts of the software system is at least 7 years old.
    It's a Windows 2000 system.. however to put the paper out we have to log into the News Maker network. Newsmaker uses Word 6.0. But the computers, as part of the regular operating system, have Office 2003. Both versions can't be opened at once. So if you make the mistake of trying to open a document from a source for a story you're doing, you can't be logged into the editorial system or else you'll crash your computer.

2. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

But it looks newer than this one:
    [​IMG]

3. Meat Loaf

Meat Loaf Guest

I found one of these at the back of a desk drawer. Using deductive reasoning, I figured it was for sending stories, but I had never seen anything like it.

We got new Dells and new editing software last year. Before that, it was 10-year-old computers and Lotus Notes.

4. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Hell, we have a regular stringer who still uses a TRS-80 to write up his stories. He's reliable and (fairly) clean, so we don't mind too much.

5. Meat Loaf

Meat Loaf Guest

Nobody in our office knows how to use them (most of us are under 35). Care to elaborate for the sake of my education?

6. KG

KG Active Member

LOL Ours aren't quite that old.

Although recently I did get stuck with the task of cleaning out a storage area. Some of the stuff I threw out was so old it needed to be in a museum. Old computers are so heavy I thought I'd kill my back moving them around.

While all but one of our computers are from this century, the postage machine (a clunker I've dubbed The Beast) was bought in 1989. I really hate that thing and despise Pitney Bowes for ever creating it.

7. Meat Loaf

Meat Loaf Guest

He's a warlock.

8. ARD

ARD Member

IIRC, I fixed this problem 3-4 years ago by installing Microsoft's Word Viewer and associating DOC files with it. Then Word documents open with the Viewer program instead of Word 2003, and there's no version conflict to crash NME. It does add an extra step for people who really want to edit in Word 2003, though; I think you have to hit Control-E to send the document along to Word. It's been a while since I worked on it, so YMMV.

9. ARD

ARD Member

Terrific little machines. I wrote the sending program for these for our paper at the time (early 1980s); it was about 200 bytes IIRC. Also, legend has it that the version of BASIC on these machines is the last coding Bill Gates directly worked on. ... How do they work? Pop in four AA batteries and turn it on. Instant-on, and all its files showed up in the opening menu. Has a built-in modem, so it's easy to communicate with 'em.

More info: http://www.trs-80.com/trs80-10.htm

10. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

You could play Oregon Trail on that.

11. I'll never tell

I'll never tell Active Member

[​IMG]

Tell me somebody remembers these. Started my career on one of these. I was playing hang man waiting on games to start and thought I was the shit.

Good times. Good times.

12. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Says Univac on the side.

Draft saved Draft deleted